Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I went through a bout of dino, then I started fighting green algae and hair algae. Today I come home from work and everything is brown again. Phosphates a little high 0.06 but everything else is normal. I'm using ro/di for my water changes. What the heck is going on?
John

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ok I went through a bout of dino, then I started fighting green algae and hair algae. Today I come home from work and everything is brown again. Phosphates a little high 0.06 but everything else is normal. I'm using ro/di for my water changes. What the heck is going on?
John
More information is needed if you want advice of any value

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All other levels in check. Skimmer is pumping nasty dark green junk as always. 150g with a 29g sump. Tank is about 4yrs old. I'm running 3 250w mh lights for 7 hrs 4 54 w t-5 atinics for 12 hrs moon light leds at night. I just started running a 36 w UV and a canister filter about 3 weeks ago. The skimmer and canister I clean every day along with the filter sock. I am looking for a better skimmer but not sutr what to buy. As for live stock I have a clown, lawnmower blenny, scooter blenny, serpent star, a coral banded shrimp and some snails. I also have some GSP and a couple of shrooms

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What are the exact levels of nitrate? Also how thick is the stuff coming out of the skimmer. Do you clean your Rocks? what is the circulation like in your tank? All of this and more plays a role. I have just finished battling a nasty outbreak of algea in a FOWLER tank. It was a PAIN.:(

·
Registered
440 Posts
9ppm isn't to bad. Not to cause all these problems.
When's the last time you changed the bulbs?
What kind of flow?
Phosphates are more likely the issue, I would run some gfo if you could.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yea I agree, seachem makes a product called phosguard that eliminates phosphates, you should at least look into that it should at bare min help out quite a bit with any phosphate related issues then you'll have a better idea where to go from there

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I will run GFO my flow rate is about 1100 gph out of the sump. I also have 3 Hydor 1400 power heads running. My light are about 2 monthes old The halides are 3X 250w 14000 k and 4 80w actinics. RO system is new (1 month old)still running 0ppm on both my tds meters. I do think I need a better skimmer even though it is pumpimg dark green about 1 cup a day and I do clean it every day. any suggestion on which skimmer and how big? My tank is 150g and a 29g sump. Also should I shut my halides off or anything else like that?

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
There seems to be info missing on helping support the issues.

How much or often do you feed the fish?
If the tank is 4 years old what changed?
.06 phospates are acceptable how are you testing?
I have that in a heavy sps at 0-.09 tank without issues.
Do you have a CUC?
What is your water change cycle?
What do you have in your sump?
What is your sandbead or is it cursh coral? DSB, plentum, or shallow?
Are you dosing the system with anything?

Do you test PH, ALK, MG or Calc? If so what are the prams?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My tank is 150g with a 29g sump. In the tank I have about 1.5" of crushed coral and about 75lbs of live rock. The sump has about 15lbs of live rock, 3" sand bed Cheto, Culerpra and Mangrove trees. Ok this is all the test results I have. I have tested using a reef test kit not sure of the brand and ph hanna ph meter, refractometer, and a tds. Salinity 1.024, Calcium right around 390ppm, Ph 8.5, Phosphate .06ppm, Ammonia .8ppm, Nitrate 9ppm, Nitrite 9ppm, Temperature 78 degrees at night 79 durning the day the halide heat it up along with the whole room. I have not check Alkalinity or Magnesium. About the only thing that has changed I was using a Red Sea Berlin protein skimmer it went bad on me about last year so I replaced it. The skimmer I have now a friend gave me. I have been thinking that might be the problem but why would it take a year to cause a problem? about 4 monthes ago I started using ro water. The problem started about 2 monthes after that. Using ro/di is better right? How would that cause a problem? As far as water changes I do about 25% every 2 weeks always have. Even in my freshwater tanks. I'm finding out real fast the 2 are differant animals. what works for freshwater is not what you do for saltwater. Oh and yes I do have a clean up crew.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you guys think cutting back on my lights will help. I'm going to a water change tonight. take some reading after the water change and see if they go up again

·
Registered
174 Posts
How long are you running your lights? Is there dusk/dawn then full then moon? Or just day and moon? Or just day only? Lol... I had a small outbreak when I first started up, had my daylights on 12 hrs at the time, cut back to 10 hrs and that helped immediately, not saying this is your problem, but a lot of algae from what I understand thrives under longer lighting cycles... I am also a noob so I'm just going off some personal reading exp here don't take my advice to heart, just throwing my opinion on the subject! Hope it helps ya!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts