Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two mj mods on a naturalwave controller in my 60 gallon. They work awsome. (although loud) The concern I have is that today I was walking past my tank when one of them kicked on. My sailfin tang was cruising past at the very same moment. Bad move on his part! The suction from the pump pulled him into the guard in rapid fashion! The fish apears to be uninjured and I must admit it was kinda funny to see. All graceful, swimming, browsing as tangs do........................Wham! Has anyone else had this happen? I would think this would be a problem for a smaller weaker fish. A little goby or something would be toast!

I should of named this post mj mod vs sailfin tang

·
Registered
389 Posts
I never put my modded mj's on a timer/wavemaker, so my fish knew to keep their distance. I don't think that my mj's would have worked on a wavemaker/timer anyway cuz they often start in reverse and do not correct themselves very often.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
How long have you been running them on the wavemaker? I've heard so many stories of them destroying themsleves in a matter on weeks/months.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been running them for about 6 months. I was told that the mj was the only powerhead that would handle the instant on/off on the wavemaker. You cant do that with a koralia or a seio.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mayran said:
I never put my modded mj's on a timer/wavemaker, so my fish knew to keep their distance. I don't think that my mj's would have worked on a wavemaker/timer anyway cuz they often start in reverse and do not correct themselves very often.
The reversal wont hurt anything. Other wise every time you plugged the pump in you would run the risk of ruining it. I have one of them that I modded by cutting the direction nozzel off flush with the edge of the round part that attaches to the bottom of the pump. After this mod when the pump reverses the flow moves in the opposite direction. The reversals are random but seem to be almost every other cycle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts