Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so between all of my filtration methods. I have 3 spots for media and one spot for like a carbon nylon bag so I am going to use a carbon Bag for that one and what should I use in the other three? Also I'm curious to here what everyone uses in their tanks btw my tank is a 55g with a hob filter rated for 70g and a red prism hob skimmer it's a mixed reef setup no sump no refuge

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
GFO would be good. you can just put it in a sock as well. i would also do live rock/rubble in one spot.

i run biopellets, carbon, and GFO in within 3 reactors,
also i use filter pads and floss at several points
and i have a mini-G wet skimmer
and a small refugium where i grown both fern and grape caulerpa. the fern is a very fast grower, sucking up lots of extra nutrients, and the grape is a slower grower but can be fed to my faceface, coral beauty, and yellow tang. :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I am currently running
Sump w/ 300gph Overflow; Plant to bump this up to about 900 divided between two tanks and a 50 gallon sump.
ASM Mini G Skimmer
Refuge w/ Cheato, Red and Green Gracilaria (Yellow Tang loves this stuff), 5 Red Mangrove shoots and LR rubble
I have BRS ROX8 Carbon that I plan to run ever couple weeks for a 2 weeks at a time Maybe more. Placing it in a Mesh bag between baffles in my sump.
I have BRS GFO Granular currently running in a reactor in a bin of waste water to break it in. Then will be putting in my sump for my 90.
I also dose MB7 and Zeozym. Though this is not media, I believe it aids what media and reactors we do use.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't quite follow where your three spots for media are but I'll make a couple comments. I think you will find that most hobbyists these days don't often use HOB filters given their general lack of utility. You can run basic mechanical filters there but again, most in the hobby do not use simple mechanical filtration since it leaves the detritus in the water column and adds to your nitrates levels. Skimmers are what replace mechanical filtration for most of us. You can run carbon in a HOB filter and many do although use of carbon is very mixed in the hobby and often used only if there is a reason to such as a need to remove some unwanted chemical like coral toxin or medication. The downside to running carbon is that if you are running water through it, which is how it is most effective, then it catches solids much like a mechanical filter which, as stated, you don't want. Some people do put LR ruble in these filters but that has no advantage over just putting the rubble in your display. You can a run GFO which is very common and helpful although HOB filters are not very well suited for that...much better to have a GFO "reactor" that has more flow through the media so it is suspended which is how it works the best.

So, frankly, unless you have a real reason to run carbon, there really isn't that much value to HOB filters.

In all my tanks I have never used anything for filtration other than LR, DSB, skimmers, and GFO and other than maybe carbon now and then, that's all I think you ever need.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So your saying I don't even need my filter am I wrong in thinking its better than nothing since I'm not running a sump or refuge? Could I just drop it and use it as a refuge

[/B]
I can't quite follow where your three spots for media are but I'll make a couple comments. I think you will find that most hobbyists these days don't often use HOB filters given their general lack of utility. You can run basic mechanical filters there but again, most in the hobby do not use simple mechanical filtration since it leaves the detritus in the water column and adds to your nitrates levels. Skimmers are what replace mechanical filtration for most of us. You can run carbon in a HOB filter and many do although use of carbon is very mixed in the hobby and often used only if there is a reason to such as a need to remove some unwanted chemical like coral toxin or medication. The downside to running carbon is that if you are running water through it, which is how it is most effective, then it catches solids much like a mechanical filter which, as stated, you don't want. Some people do put LR ruble in these filters but that has no advantage over just putting the rubble in your display. You can a run GFO which is very common and helpful although HOB filters are not very well suited for that...much better to have a GFO "reactor" that has more flow through the media so it is suspended which is how it works the best.

So, frankly, unless you have a real reason to run carbon, there really isn't that much value to HOB filters.

In all my tanks I have never used anything for filtration other than LR, DSB, skimmers, and GFO and other than maybe carbon now and then, that's all I think you ever need.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ya, that's what I am saying. I would not say that it is better than nothing because if used unwisely....like by adding mechanical filtration...it causes problems.

Some people do use HOB filters as mini refugiums and you could fill it with a DSB or grow cheato in it although I'm not sure it would add that much value even then given how small it is although this is a case where you might fairly say that something is better then nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts