Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me decide on replacement bulbs for my Giesemann Infiniti 4ft fixture, it is on a 120 tank. Currently has all Giesemann bulbs, they are 2 250 DE 20k (22k) and 4 T5's that are their Pure Actinic. I need to replace all, they will be 12 months old in a couple of weeks, trying to stay a little blue but looking for best growth with SPS as tank is 95% SPS. I would like to stay with pure actinic style of bulbs for the T5's, but thinking I should go to 10 or 15k instead of 20k for the DE 250's. Not too worried about price.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I haven't used or bought them yet but, from what I have read. The 14k Phoenix seems to be a great bulb and am considering picking between one of these three; Ushio 15k and Coralvue SE 14k.
As for the T5's; I would look an ATI Actinic and Blue+ mix if you want to stick with actinics. Or, go witht the ATI Aqua Blue Special, Blue+, Actinic mix. However, this would give you a lot more light that what you are currently running with just actinics.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Seen Dan's tank - very nice.

Hey Dan, was wondering when I finish my latest LED build if you'd let me stop over and hold it over your tank and take some PAR measurements - it would be much appreciated. I need references for bigger SPS tanks.

Anyways, in regards to halide bulbs, my opinion is if you're willing to work with mixed lighting then go with a 12-14K halides because of their fuller spectrums and let the T5 or LED strips handle the grunt work with actinic. Adjust accordingly. If you start out with halides that are too blue then you can't go the other way.

The phoenix bulbs have a pretty good rep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts