Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about this, I have a coralife aqualight hang-on MH, It is small enough to retro into my 24 nano. Do you think its ok to do this? The MH is 150w and I am going to run a 14-15000k bulb in it. Number one question is it too much too close to the water? And the 2nd is can I keep the clear cover thats currently on the nano hood on over the MH?

·
Registered
732 Posts
i would think your biggest issue would be that the 150 so close to the water would boil the 24 gallon. and as for the clear cover im not sure if it is plastic or glass but i have always heard you have to have a glass shield to block the uv when using mh.

not possitive so hopefully others chime in

mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheapfish1 said:
i would think your biggest issue would be that the 150 so close to the water would boil the 24 gallon. and as for the clear cover im not sure if it is plastic or glass but i have always heard you have to have a glass shield to block the uv when using mh.

not possitive so hopefully others chime in

mike
It is plastic, but I do also have the glass uv cover for the mh bulb. That is my main concern is if its going to get to hot but the new nano comes with 2-70w mh built in.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have two 150's over my 55 and I have to run a fan in between the light and water to keep it cool. I would think with some type of fan you'll be alright. Maybe raise the light a little further up.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You should be fine. The issue will be cooling the tank while the light is on. Usually a small fan is enough to curb the heat. If it is a DE fixture it most likely already has uv shielding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts