Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not sure. All I know for sure is that SE bulbs have the UV absorbing glass built in. It is the outer glass casing. You only need additional glass with DE bulbs and I believe most fixtures come with it. Unless you build your own, I guess.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the hqi de pendants. Not home made. I never really gave it any thought until I accidently touched the glass and recieved a burn that blistered today.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
mayran said:
All I know for sure is that SE bulbs have the UV absorbing glass built in. It is the outer glass casing. You only need additional glass with DE bulbs and I believe most fixtures come with it. Unless you build your own, I guess.
That is correct. If the pendent you have irishhorse wasn't homemade, I'm sure the glass has the shielding. For the burn, was it really hot? I've gotten a blister before from the glasses heat and from the reflector casing as well.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:rolleyes: yes, it was REALLY hot. :eek: blister size of a dime.

I just wanted to make sure. I am going through a relapse of cancer and have to limit all exposure to uv as much as possible. tank included.

thanks

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
All glass has UV shielding properties to it. The glass that we use has extra lead built into the silicon matrix to reduce the amount that passes through. High lead glass always has a stamp on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts