Michigan Reefers banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
After searching through the site for a couple weeks following joining, we decided against a tank build thread as there didnt appear much in the way of benefits in doing so! We built away and just ask, or answer, when we have something we feel is pertinent.
Dunc, and all of you living in southern Michigan certainly have an advantage over those of us living in the north. We're located between Grayling and Gaylord, and have only found about a handful of reefers within a 75 mile radius! Even while in our local LFS (Funky Fish and Friends in Gaylord) (a nice little shop with good selection and prices) shopping/browsing it is rare to meet another reefer in there at the same time. If any of you are visiting this area drop us a line, stop for a visit and a little reef discussion. A beer and a burger if you're staying for a while too!
This is an awesome, every expanding hobby, so lets make this site one that all of us, especially rookies, can look to for guidance, and info. not backlashing, and non productive sharing.
Just my 2 cents'
John

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm starting a new tank build and I've been debating whether to start a new tank thread here due to the fear of recrimination. Not sure yet if I'm ready to take the chance again.
Do it! I for one learn alot from tank builds and am always interested in what others are doing. Yes, you'll get some constructive critiscism, but that's how we learn after all.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do it! I for one learn alot from tank builds and am always interested in what others are doing. Yes, you'll get some constructive critiscism, but that's how we learn after all.
There's constructive criticism, and then there's verbal abuse. I love the former, and have experienced the latter, hence my comment.

I'm still thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There's constructive criticism, and then there's verbal abuse. I love the former, and have experienced the latter, hence my comment.

You know M, go for it.. I, for one, look forward to build threads. No matter what.. They're is a ton of feedback that may not seem like a big deal to the poster, but probably will at some point, help someone else. Your thread, actually helped me with something as far as building sumps. And I personally was /am looking forward to your new build. So, please do! Your knowledge had increased tremendously in short order. So, please, do it, will all details as you go..

I know I'm learning a lot already on mine that I had never experienced.. Lol

So don't let the few spill it for the many.. And believe me, I completely agree with the abuse. But let's keep pushing on for those of us that do truly want to learn and progress..

Note 4 on Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
Maybe this is something from the past, but I haven't seen any real negative comments. I do see sometimes people saying that this or that can't be housed in certain tank conditions (like putting a tang in a nano) but even that is usually just straight forward 'hey that will get too big/not do well with x, y,z/etc' rather than something truly attacking the poster. Either I've just been fortunate to miss those posts, or there is also the possibility, when expressing things in type, that people who read it automatically go to the most negative place with it, rather than taking it at face value. I think we would all do well to try to assume the best in our fellow reefers rather than that they are intentionally being malicious just because they may say something we don't want to hear (i.e. 'You cant keep that tang in your 10 gallon').

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Very true! This forum is very tame compared to the big national sites (R2R, ReefCentral).
I would agree with that +100000

Maybe this is something from the past, but I haven't seen any real negative comments. I do see sometimes people saying that this or that can't be housed in certain tank conditions (like putting a tang in a nano) but even that is usually just straight forward 'hey that will get too big/not do well with x, y,z/etc' rather than something truly attacking the poster. Either I've just been fortunate to miss those posts, or there is also the possibility, when expressing things in type, that people who read it automatically go to the most negative place with it, rather than taking it at face value. I think we would all do well to try to assume the best in our fellow reefers rather than that they are intentionally being malicious just because they may say something we don't want to hear (i.e. 'You cant keep that tang in your 10 gallon').
I think it is more from the past. There was a time when we had some butt hole members for lack of a better description. I think a lot of that has passed with great help from our mod team and I think we have a good community. It just takes time for people to trust that is the case and I understand that.

You know M, go for it.. I, for one, look forward to build threads. No matter what.. They're is a ton of feedback that may not seem like a big deal to the poster, but probably will at some point, help someone else. Your thread, actually helped me with something as far as building sumps. And I personally was /am looking forward to your new build. So, please do! Your knowledge had increased tremendously in short order. So, please, do it, will all details as you go..

I know I'm learning a lot already on mine that I had never experienced.. Lol

So don't let the few spill it for the many.. And believe me, I completely agree with the abuse. But let's keep pushing on for those of us that do truly want to learn and progress..

Note 4 on Tapatalk
Thats the spirit! Anyway myself or the rest of the team can help please feel free to contact us. We LOVE LOVE LOVE build threads.

If you feel someone is being verbally abusive please contact me and I will personally handle it. We have a zero tolerance policy for that here. Please if there is any way we can help, get in touch with me. That goes for everyone.

After searching through the site for a couple weeks following joining, we decided against a tank build thread as there didnt appear much in the way of benefits in doing so! We built away and just ask, or answer, when we have something we feel is pertinent.
Dunc, and all of you living in southern Michigan certainly have an advantage over those of us living in the north. We're located between Grayling and Gaylord, and have only found about a handful of reefers within a 75 mile radius! Even while in our local LFS (Funky Fish and Friends in Gaylord) (a nice little shop with good selection and prices) shopping/browsing it is rare to meet another reefer in there at the same time. If any of you are visiting this area drop us a line, stop for a visit and a little reef discussion. A beer and a burger if you're staying for a while too!
This is an awesome, every expanding hobby, so lets make this site one that all of us, especially rookies, can look to for guidance, and info. not backlashing, and non productive sharing.
Just my 2 cents'
John
It takes posters to make a site. So I encourage you to add to the community and post away. Most of the main questions about reefing have been answered, just like on the big national forums. So the thing that really gets attention and gets people involved is build threads.

I go through Gaylord at least a couple times a year. Just went through there a few weeks back on my way to our time share in boyne and met up with lakeviewink in petoskey. I didnt even know there was a fish store in Gaylord. I will stop by. Ill let ya know next time Im coming through! Im a nothern michigan reefer myself and I would agree lots of the action happens down state, but there are a few of us up here!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Trust me. This wasn't constructive criticism the way you have described above. Being told that you are an idiot for doing XYZ with your tank is not reading into it. That's a sucker punch to the gut.

This was just under a year ago, and I don't see those names popping up anymore. I hope you're right that things have changed for the better. This is why I've been lurking again. Hopefully I'll have a better experience this time around.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think it is more from the past. There was a time when we had some butt hole members for lack of a better description. I think a lot of that has passed with great help from our mod team and I think we have a good community. It just takes time for people to trust that is the case and I understand that.
Well, then I look forward to rejoining the community and starting a new thread.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have been out of the hobby for a while due to family issues so I do not know a lot of what happened but a lot of the sites seem to have lost some good people. Hopefully we can get things going again!
Jen

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree with some of this, but mostly from lack of conversation on the threads. I have been reefing for 6 years and have been on here the entire time. Although I dont always comment, I do love to come on here and peruse the threads looking for different topics to learn from. Build threads are also my favorite ;) I have never had a bad experience buying or selling. I will say that I shifted away from posting often due to people arguing with me about topics that I gave my input on. God forbid I tell someone that uv sterilizers work lol.. anyway, keep posting pics of your tanks and tell us about your favorite corals and how to keep them healthy.. show me that build thread. anyway happy reefing all..

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I agree with some of this, but mostly from lack of conversation on the threads. I have been reefing for 6 years and have been on here the entire time. Although I dont always comment, I do love to come on here and peruse the threads looking for different topics to learn from. Build threads are also my favorite ;) I have never had a bad experience buying or selling. I will say that I shifted away from posting often due to people arguing with me about topics that I gave my input on. God forbid I tell someone that uv sterilizers work lol.. anyway, keep posting pics of your tanks and tell us about your favorite corals and how to keep them healthy.. show me that build thread. anyway happy reefing all..
Dude, lol, I believe they work.. So I'm right with you! Lol.. People can say or think what they want (just my opinion), but as long as I can look at something, implement it, see some form of change, whether good or bad, I can consider it personally a good or bad thing. So, your not alone in that one..

And maybe the mood was right about the heels.. I never thought about, that not many people post, but then again, not add many arguments and off dialog.. Which is positive imho..

And I forgot to comment on selling and buying.. Will, I've purchased and sold on MR.. Lots of coral sales and buys, a few pieces of equipment sold, a tank recently sold, and a tank purchased. The vast majority of my transactions are very good, cut and dry, and it seemed like both parties were satisfied. But I remember one, that a person made it uncomfortable because I stated the price (very, very cheap), he comes out, and then tries to talk me down on things has and at the same time asks for freebies..

However, overall, business side, it has been g good to great for me..

Note 4 on Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was on this site 10 years ago on my old account.. and would comment
and post. I really liked the site.. Until one day I posted a thread about a bad
experience I had at _tropicorium. I was being completely honest and just wanted
to share my experience there.. Well in the end I got bullied and called a liar by
several members here, including the owner of _tropicorium.. Although I was completely
honest about my experience. So I left this site and went elsewhere. Well its been awhile.
I just set up a new system and looking for Coral in the area and decided to come back on
a new account. I'm surprised about the lack of activity on here now. This site was fairly
active 10 years ago...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts