Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out of the hobby about 3 months ago, I had a 125 and didnt like the fact that i always had to pay people to help me move it. Sold everything except about 5 lbs of rock a few zoas and a 10 gallon tank. thought i could be happy having a little nano reef... I was wrong, I cant stand looking in a tank and seeing a filter a powerhead and a heater. So I just picked up a new 20 high with stand. Plan on using a lot of DIY projects to put all this together. Ill be posting new pics of the progress as it comes together. Thanks for looking and I'm sure I will be asking for lots of advice on MR.

My frst reef tank

my current 10 gallon mess

Start of 20 Gal project

·
Registered
744 Posts
Glad to hear that you stayed in the hobby. It is pretty sad that you had to pay people to help you move you tank. I know the feeling tho. Every time I ask friends to help me do something with my tank they always say " I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO or I GOT CALLED INTO WORK AT THE LAST MIN.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on! I even helped the guy who bought it carry it out of my second floor apt to his truck. He brought his dad who i was sure would stroke out... New rule: If I cant carry it, I wont buy it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Glad to hear that you stayed in the hobby. It is pretty sad that you had to pay people to help you move you tank. I know the feeling tho. Every time I ask friends to help me do something with my tank they always say " I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO or I GOT CALLED INTO WORK AT THE LAST MIN.
It's amazing that happens to all of us..lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew I wanted a sump to hide all the eye sores, that was kind of the whole reason behind this build. At the same time i didnt wanna put over 6K into this reef like i did the last one. So here is my DIY overflow box.

1/8" acrylic. Had to build it twice because i forgot to apply the silicone between the joints the first time.

Drilled a 2 1/4" hole for a 1 1/2" drain and painted the back. I didnt have the smaller drill bit for the 3/4" return so that is currently on order along with the bulkheads. I shoulda waited untill it was fully drilled before i painted it, but a 60* day on February 29th is to good to pass up for painting.

Learning to silicone is quite messy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bulk heads and drill bit arrived

10 minutes later...

Now to plan the sump. gonna use the 10 gallon that i currently have.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Glad to see you didn't quit entirely. Do you have plans for a pump, are you going to utilize a skimmer? Welcome to the Nano Club, it can sometimes be more frustrating than owning a larger tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i kinda have the sump planed out. I might even have enough room for a tiny fuge in the center. Im gonna try and utilize the skimmer i already have which is a CPR HOB. I will have to modify it a tad but thats simple enough. I am looking for recommendations on a return pump for this set up. I know i dont want to much flow through this sump. All advice is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
glad i came across this as im setting up my new 20g tank and want to drill it out and put sump/fuge under the tank. what all are the parts you orderd from bulkreefsupply. i want to make sure i order the right parts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with a 1 1/2"bulk head for the drain, the bigger the better IMO. And just went with 3/4" for the return cause its the most common. Drill bits should be 3/4" bigger than the bulkhead your using. I also ordered a loc line fitting to match the bulk head. as for the sump i just ordered a filter sock holder which comes with a bracket for the 7" or the 4".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea i was just looking on the web site at everything i need to order. when i built my stand for the tank i didnt have a sump/fuge in mind at the time so i have to think hard about this as i will have to do some work on an already finished and staind stand. thinking mayb a HOB fuge might be the easy way around this. Hate to mess up such a good looking stand i spent all that time on building. BTW what size/brand return pump are you going to run in your sump?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
return pump?

I have no idea! Im gonna see what the good people on MR suggest before i make that purchase. Its the only thing left i need to purchase to complete this build and I wanna make a good choice. Im thinking a small mag drive. I really dont want to much flow through the sump.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sump finished. Didnt do it right but will work for now.

plumbed and set up. using a powerhead as a return pump. prolly only pushing 50 GPH. going to pick up a real one today.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any updates? Yeah I had to downsize my 75g to a 29g biocube because of all the moving I do in the army. Hopefully when I settle down in the next 5 years I can go back but till then I'm enjoying the biocube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts