Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of moving from the Dayton, OH area to Traverse City, which means I'm in the process of tearing down my 150gal tank that has been running for about 8 years and moving everything up to MI.... Well... not quite everything, I am moving all my livestock and equipment but have given the tank away to a local reefer who is relatively new to the hobby. My plan is to downsize a little bit and go with something rimless on a furniture grade stand.

Here's a few pics to get this started....

This was the 150gal system before I tore it down.
Water Blue Light Natural environment Organism

I have transferred everything to a 60gal custom built tank that I purchased from a member of the local reef club several years ago.
Plant Pet supply Terrestrial plant Gas Aquatic plant

Much of the live rock is currently being housed in a 100gal agricultural stock tank.

We take possession of our new house in late March, so I will be moving everything up to Traverse City and running this setup for a little while. I'm planning on probably purchasing a RedSea Reefer or a Waterbox from BRS once we get settled.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very nice! Excited to see the new tank up and running! If buying an AIO from one of those brands, I'd go with the waterbox. I've read too many RedSea horror stories to ever trust one not to leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! Excited to see the new tank up and running! If buying an AIO from one of those brands, I'd go with the waterbox. I've read too many RedSea horror stories to ever trust one not to leak.
I honestly haven't done a lot of research into them. Are they busting seams, or are they leaking at the bulkheads/plumbing?

I've been looking at the RedSea XL 525, honestly not super excited about the sump it comes with... I really just like the dimensions and the look. The Waterbox that is of similar size (INFINIA 165.4) is almost $1000 more. Really I just want the glassbox and the stand, I just dont want to have a tank custom built where I will end up paying more and having to wait for months.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I honestly haven't done a lot of research into them. Are they busting seams, or are they leaking at the bulkheads/plumbing?

I've been looking at the RedSea XL 525, honestly not super excited about the sump it comes with... I really just like the dimensions and the look. The Waterbox that is of similar size (INFINIA 165.4) is almost $1000 more. Really I just want the glassbox and the stand, I just dont want to have a tank custom built where I will end up paying more and having to wait for months.
It seems like busting at the seams from everything I've seen. I prefer doing my own setups ovet AIOs, but that's just me. Blue Thumb in Saginaw does acrylic tanks of every size you could possibly think of, but not sure how long it would take to get the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like busting at the seams from everything I've seen. I prefer doing my own setups ovet AIOs, but that's just me. Blue Thumb in Saginaw does acrylic tanks of every size you could possibly think of, but not sure how long it would take to get the tank.
I just started looking around Reef2Reef at threads about the ReaSea systems... that's some scary stuff....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I made it to Traverse City. No losses. Waiting for my house in Ohio to sell so that I have the funds to purchase a new tank. Looking at the Waterbox Reef 180.5 now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry its been a while... my foxface died about three weeks after we moved. I had it for about 9 years, who knows how old it was when i got it, so I'm going to chalk it up to old age, because I haven't had any issues with anything else.

I placed an order through BRS last night for a Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 G2 Deluxe (Reefer Deluxe XXL 625 G2 System (132 Gal) w/ 2x ReefLED 160 - Red Sea). Now I just need to paint the walls and replace the flooring in my office.

I'm planning to order the Red Sea fleece roller (ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea) once BRS gets them back in stock. Haven't really decided what I'm going to do about a skimmer. I was running an Avast Marine CS3 recirculating skimmer on my old tank, and I'm currently running an older model Reef Octopus (I think it is essentially the 150INT with a different pump... Classic 150INT 6” Internal Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus) that is rated for around 110-150 gallons... I thought about purchasing a Red Sea skimmer that is guaranteed to fit in the sump, but the reviews I've seen aren't awesome.

Another decision that I need to make is whether I want to do sand or bare bottom. I've done many bare bottom tanks for temp setups (currently running bare bottom), but I dont know if I've ever really seen a display tank that does it. My concern is that the bottom ends up getting kinda gross looking over time, and I dont think it looks real natural... but is much easier to maintain.... I'm currently leaning towards sand, but that's probably because that is what I am most familiar with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My RedSea Reefer 625 was delivered yesterday. I live on a seasonal road, so freight trucks generally don’t like coming down this way. The driver backed his full size semi a quarter mile down my road through the woods and around a 90 deg turn to get to my house. He was even nice enough to put it in my barn for me even though BRS and RedSea make it very clear that delivery is “curbside only”.

I got the cabinet partially assembled, I’m to the point where I need to put the tank on it and then level the feet… so it’ll probably be a couple weeks until I can get several guys to help move it. According to the manual, it weighs 340lbs…. Probably going to try passing it through the window in the basement to avoid having to navigate a 90° turn on the stairs.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Had some family visiting for the week, so I recruited the help of my Father-in-law and brother-in-laws and made the multi-step complicated process of moving the tank around the back of my house, through a window, onto a cart that I built for this purpose and then onto the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Everything is now assembled, lights and rollermat are setup. Working on getting the pieces I need to connect my COR20 return pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Water is in, dosed the tank with MicrōBacter to start cycling.

Discovered that the control module for my COR20 is having issues. It won’t show up in my Apex dashboard, so I have a phone call scheduled for later today with Neptune Systems to troubleshoot it, I’m pretty sure I’m going to find out that it needs replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had my call with Neptune Systems, gonna have to send the pump in. I chose their cross ship option, so I'll have a refurb pump sent to me to swap out with what I have. Had to pay a deposit, and they will refund the repair costs out of the deposit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Starting to think through my Apex setup. I’ve accumulated many modules and power bars over the years, working on figuring out what I really need for this new setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts