Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something I can dip my sps, lps, softies, shrooms, rics, and zoo's in to remove the parasites and nasties before putting it in my system.

·
Registered
604 Posts
hardcz said:
Looking for something I can dip my sps, lps, softies, shrooms, rics, and zoo's in to remove the parasites and nasties before putting it in my system.
RO/DI water, Seachem "Reef Dip" or Lugols Iodine FTW. ;)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with these three dip offerings, is there one that takes care of some parasites better than others, ie... one is really good for red bugs, one is good for flat worms, one is good for nudi's and so on? So it'd be good to have a little of each and do several dips? or maybe a mix and match method?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
For Red bugs I uses an Inteceptor dip.

EDIT: The problem with the "dip" method is that the interceptor may not kill the egg clusters. So that being said a "Q" tank is a much better idea. I am not sure of the effect of the other dips on the eggs of the above mentioned besties. When in doubt send 'em to the Q tank!

·
Registered
450 Posts
None of them will kill "red bugs." Milbemycin oxime is the only chemical I'm aware of that is highly effective on them.

These dips will have very little effectiveness on flatworms - I recommend praziquantel for that.

Nudibranchs, however, don't like iodine very much - these dips are a good choice for that.

That said, the best "all-in-one" dip you can do is plain, simple freshwater.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Dave,

How long of a dip let's say with, RODI water. Can you please take the time to
explain how you would do it - or should be done.

What types of corals can you fresh water dip?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
450 Posts
If I'm using RO/DI water, I usually add a bit of pH buffer to bring it up to match the aquarium. Temperature should also be consistent. If using tap, a dechlorinator should also be used.

Dips usually vary in length from thirty seconds to five minutes, depending on health of the coral and what it is that I'm trying to do.

There aren't any specific types of corals that I completely avoid freshwater dipping, but I will generally limit the length for those that take in significant amounts of water (open brain corals, some soft corals).

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Dave said:
There aren't any specific types of corals that I completely avoid freshwater dipping,
I wont dip any acros in freshwater... I have seen some pretty bad results from FW dipping them. Any similar experience with this Dave?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So would a fresh water ro dip with say one of the above iodine based dips, possibly with some FWE, and possibly if getting acro's the interceptor added be good for everything, adding the ph buffer and heat to keep things happy?

Mainly I'm looking at dipping zoo's/pallies, rics, shrooms, then the sps would possibly require the extra interceptor added for the red bugs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you plan on keeping the sps alive I would not do a fresh water dip on them. I have also seen horrible things happen to sps with a fresh water dip.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
The only thing I would do a freshwater dip on would be zoas. And, even that I think is over used.

The bottom line, is there is no "all in one dip". The needs of the corals and what is required to remove the variety of pests are different.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I use a cocktale of Tropic Marin Pro Cure, Interceptor and Flatworm exit for 8 hours in a tub with a powerhead and heater. I had both Flatworms and redbugs. Treated the whole tank:) . Now I am bug free and plan to stay that way.

·
Registered
450 Posts
stunreefer said:
I wont dip any acros in freshwater... I have seen some pretty bad results from FW dipping them. Any similar experience with this Dave?
As a general rule, every wild SPS colony we bring in to the shop is freshwater dipped, though it's usually a short dip (less than two minutes).

I haven't seen any serious mortality result from it. Every once and a while, we'll lose a colony...but nothing consistent or significant enough to outweigh the benefits, in my opinion.

I certainly agree with you, jimsflies - there isn't an perfect "all in one" dip. The treatment programme should always depend on your observations (preferably over the period of weeks the animal is in your quarantine tank!) of what needs to be treated.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VanGogh121 said:
I use a cocktale of Tropic Marin Pro Cure, Interceptor and Flatworm exit for 8 hours in a tub with a powerhead and heater. I had both Flatworms and redbugs. Treated the whole tank:) . Now I am bug free and plan to stay that way.
I'm hoping to stay away from the majority of nasties out there, red bugs, flatworms and the like, and unfortunatly as nice as it'd be, don't have the resources for a long term Q Tank at the moment.

·
Registered
450 Posts
bklynmet said:
can you use interceptor, fwe and iodine in one single dip? Can one cancel out the effectiveness of another?
The problem is duration.

A freshwater dip should be under five minutes in length. Iodine dips are usually around fifteen minutes in length. Interceptor takes a minimum of six hours.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so assuming you're not putting any acro's in the tank, could it be relatively safe to say red bugs shouldn't be a problem, and to do some kind of iodine dip and let them hang out in there for maybe 15-20 minutes, then put them in the tank? If you don't have a QT available?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts