Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I think this should be in the suggestion area.

But yes an extended PIF area would be cool.

PIF Fish (Tangs to remove algae or algae blennies)
PIF Inverts (Peppermint Shrimp for aptasia or Emerald Crabs)
PIF Coral
PIF Equipment (Got somethin' you wanna donate to someone that can't afford anything good yet skimmer... Lights... pumps... ect... stuff you don't need and don't want to bother selling.)
PIF Chaeto...
PIF Tanks... ect ect ect....

Not a bad idea.

or we can better organize the corals too.

SPS, LPS, softies, and Z&Ps

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Yes this is a good idea as this was brought up before but we have been waiting for complete rules and direction from the starter of the PIF "Pay it Forward"

This needs to be clear to all members what is involved in this so that members dont just think its a free coral and not expected to know how to maintain this animal in order to pass it along.

As to equipment this would probably not be good as it would step on our existing selling/trading/Want to buy forums.

PIF is corals Only...

G

·
reef120 I would be willing to write some general posting rules for the PIF forums mostly refering to how to be added to the list and such and also state how to start a PIF and what info you are required to include in starting one

if you would like me to do this let me know and maby we can add it next to the coral prop forums section

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
pif needs rules

I no longer do pif's because a couple that I did they were asking for updates to fast to often every coral does different in different tanks. also I did one pif I was accused of steeling the coral. this really ticked me off since that day I swore of pif's I trade with friends same thing. ;) we don't hassle each other hows it growing etc. you need very very strict rules. and imo should be over seen by one person.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Agreed point this is why the whole PIF topic and process is really not defined for us to take on that kind of responsibilities and another reason its PIF at your own risk. Many have great success and some not but rules and processes would need to be created first..

·
Registered
477 Posts
labman said:
I no longer do pif's because a couple that I did they were asking for updates to fast to often every coral does different in different tanks. also I did one pif I was accused of steeling the coral. this really ticked me off since that day I swore of pif's I trade with friends same thing. ;) we don't hassle each other hows it growing etc. you need very very strict rules. and imo should be over seen by one person.
Sounds nice in theory but how is it in practice? Your post is very insightful.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
it's simple really, you get a coral from someone, when it grows to double the size you got it, pass it on to the next available person on the list. If it dies, well that *****, try to get another but you're at the bottom of the list. If it grows slow it grows slow. People shouldn't really complain about someone stealing the PIF corals, because it's free to everyone, if they do, then they do, get over it. If they go and sell it, well that's a shady thing, but then everyone knows and well that person won't be getting any more and people might have issues dealing with them again.

Act like an adult and enjoy the PIF system and everyone will have a great time.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Well all I can tell you

that one experience left a bad taste in my mouth some might think no big deal I don't like being called a thief. I think I have done my fair share giving away free corals and good deals. the coral was a ric and if you guys look over since I have been reefing never even sold a single ric any way you guys do what you want I think based on how these things have gone since they started be a long time before MR puts a forum together. they have enough to moderate and take responsibility for. any way just wanted to mention why you have to be careful and why reef120 might be reluctant. good luck to you all. :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
I was under the impression that the PIF was not working out so well- lost communication, people dropping out of the hobby, etc........

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
It was dropping off a bit, but a few of us are tryin' to bring it back.

BTW, Thanks labman for some of the corals you have given me in the past. Soon, I would like to be starting a PIF with those also.

·
Registered
649 Posts
labman said:
So how do I get on your friends list LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have just started a few PIF's and am in line for others. I think it is a great idea and we will work out the bugs and the people while we go. I am meeting with aquanewbie today as a matter of fact to pass some along. Since this is my first experience with it we will see how it goes. I realize there will be problems, it happens. As long as people are honest and thoughtfull things will keep moving. Maybe we should limit the amount of people in each PIF to avoid delays and such. Once that is over they can start another from where it left off or something like that. Just a thought. It could even be a lottery if too many people want the same frag. If they are far away they take responsibility of getting the coral and have X amount of days to get it (either by picking it up or sending money for shipping).

·
Registered
302 Posts
labman said:
CK1 said:
I was under the impression that the PIF was not working out so well- lost communication, people dropping out of the hobby, etc........
I was pondering jumping on a list, but I had some of the same thoughts as labman and ck1. I would be so livid if I had a tank mishap, the PIF died or took months to grow any and someone accused me of anything selfish, let alone stealing. And who knows if I'll even have a tank years down the road (considering the size of the PIF list I saw).

Random generosity is way better then the organized version. The next time someone is looking for a frag of this or that, then PIF them one. Newbie on a budget looking for something cheap to put in his tank? Offer up a couple slices of easy to grow shrooms or something. Thats the way this thing kinda goes in the planted tank community. If they extend the same generosity to someone else in the future, great. If not, oh well. Chances are they will... The true PIF's (or RAOK's, or whatever you might call them) happen sight unseen. I have a massive clump of HM growing in my planted tank, that I'm growing out purposely to give to newbs. People gave me gobs of starter plants when I started a FW tank, so now I'm growing out some PIF.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts