Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not been on this forum in a while. Thought I would say hi. I was just thinking about what the hobby use to be and what it has evolved into. Have to say I miss the old days. Club meetings, sharing knowledge, trading frags and the like.

Tank care,

Ed

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I agree. When I started out in 2006 things were very different. We used to have monthly meetings, tank and store tours, etc., and people actually "swapped" corals rather than selling to the highest bidder. When I started the MBI in 2009 we had a lively chatroom that was busy almost every night.

Over the years I saw things change. People were less interested in going to actual meetings and preferred to stay home and be online (even before COVID). The amount of info available on the internet is awesome but I miss doing things in person.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Agreed. Designer or at least coveted corals have always been around but its gotten to the point where every coral now has a "hobby name"...ask a hobbyist a scientific name of a designer coral and you will get a blank stare. I get part of it is the shift to more colorful stuff, also the restrictions and collection areas are not what they use to be. Its just kinda snowballed. Also equipment...just in lighting theres a million more options out there and all fairly expensive. Its always been a consumer driven hobby but it seems that the science and the general camaraderie is gone...replaced by trends.

And Reef2reef is the worst....if any of the old reefers remember how clicky Reef Central was, Reef2reef takes it to a whole different level. Paying for stickers and titles to make you look important....

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
No, this isn't pandemic related.... This is when a frag swap was literally that...people trading frags as we met at someone's house, and gadca BBQ out back.

This forum would have 100 new threads per DAY... with interesting and informative and intelligent banter.

Everyone knew each other by their REAL names along with screen names.

Different market now...

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
When I joined this forum in 2010 it was hopping.
I re-joined it today and it seems like it’s stagnant.
What happened?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
absent owner... then ownership change... poor moderation...Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I believe so... but yes, he created the Facebook group with the same name!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I spend a lot of time on R2R and while there are some issues the knowledge exchange is as strong as ever and quite deep. Having a bunch of fragmented forums for every region doesn't do beginners any good.

Sorry, but the technical depth of this forum was never very good and was painful at times. It compromised mostly of "do more water changes" and "LEDs can't grow coral".Got sick of arguing with mods whos day job likely involved putting a straw in a bag.

Frag meets were smashed by covid restrictions. They were running like gangbusters before covid hit.

Most people are now entering the hobby with different expectations. The guys with killer tanks are setting up youtube channels and spreading their knowledge there.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
partially true.... yes, there was not 100% technical perfection (and yes, mindful of how that cornball advice would rile you, given your expertise in LEDs), but we had a lot of knowledgeable members sharing real world experiences of what worked and what didn’t...not just LED, but halide bulbs and ballasts, salts, treatments, aquascape builds, products, vendor experiences, and so on.

In addition, there was a community, where people knew each other, and were willing to pitch in. Frag swaps were actual swaps... trades of livestock: money didn't exchange hands unless we all pitched in to cover the cost of the BBQ, as the event was held at someone's home.

Today, where we are is that frag swaps are these giant bazaars.... sellers often moving from town to town like gypsies selling their wares from the back of a wagon during medieval years. Yes, they are on hiatus but will return once C19 subsidies.... and continue their killing the LFSs once they resume.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agreed. Designer or at least coveted corals have always been around but its gotten to the point where every coral now has a "hobby name"...ask a hobbyist a scientific name of a designer coral and you will get a blank stare. I get part of it is the shift to more colorful stuff, also the restrictions and collection areas are not what they use to be. Its just kinda snowballed. Also equipment...just in lighting theres a million more options out there and all fairly expensive. Its always been a consumer driven hobby but it seems that the science and the general camaraderie is gone...replaced by trends.
The best hosting can be got from here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The guys with killer tanks are setting up youtube channels and spreading their knowledge there.
You find the same thing on you tube... There are also individuals spreading knowledge on you tube with Not so "Killer tanks" Like on the forums, you should be careful on what advice you use. If they can not show their results,it is best to turn elsewhere.. There are plenty of successful reefers, many participated on this site. There are now many options for information. Things tend to come full circle, I imagine local clubs or some type of "get togethers" will come once again maybe even with a slight twist making them better. I still like attending the frag swaps/sales, they are fun... You see familiar faces and occasionally find a deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts