Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all start out by saying hello, I took down my reef in 2008 when I moved to florida. thanks to everyone on this site that made my tank a store for two days. hope everything is still alive esp my clams..
ive started out with a 60 cube, radeon g4 led light, sump with seeded lighted 24 hr/day refugium, simplicity protein skimmer and two korilia water movers. started with 59 lbs or live rock and 60 lbs of live carib sand.
I started with damsels to get through my yucky stage, whewww glad that's over. started with a few softy corals, palys and a maxima clam. I do have a blood shrimp, arrow crab, about 15 small hermits and 15 small snails. I still have a goby, clown and three damsels.
problem started when I got a new powder blue tang, he lasted 24 hours. peeling skin and ich spots all over. since then ive lost 5/6 fish to ich. I plan on letting things run their course as im not taking the tank down or dosing anything. I really hope the last of my fish make it
ive read so much on this subject and it's all over the board. just looking for some insight as to what I really should do next. im faithful in my water changes and ive even vacuumed my sand in hopes to eliminate and larva.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Did you quarantine the powder blue before adding, because I plan on adding a powder blue once my tank is setup and want to make sure if I qt it will it still possibly get ich?
Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
I’m guessing you have velvet and not ich. Much nastier than ich.

Leave tank with no fish for 8 weeks. Don’t add anything during this period. QT all new fish for at least 6 weeks before adding to DT.

·
Registered
703 Posts
BEWARE. Some fish can develop what looks like an immunity to velvet and show no apparent symptoms.

In the future if it is velvet you can do a FW dip to give them some temporary relief.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
...QT all new fish for at least 6 weeks before adding to DT.
I'll add to this you would do well to consider the tank transfer method. It's a fair amount of work but effective against ich. You can also treat for other infections/parasites while doing TTM.

Keeping the fish out of the display is your best bet.

Sorry about your losses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
time is what I do have, should I leave the existing fish in my tank as I only have the one. if it is velvet, will it hurt my inverts or only fish?

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you leave the fish in there you are leaving the parasites host in there. So most likely if you put a healthy fish in there they will get the it.

Take the fish out and treat for velvet while you leave the tank fish less for 8 weeks.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good point on the TTM.

Have you done it successfully? How did you set it up? What size tanks and how many?
5 gallon buckets. 3" PVC fittings. How to measure success - I've never started with a known sick fish. As a preventative treatment I guess - a full cycle of TTM, two courses of prazipro, and then observation in a 25 gallon tub.

I used water change water for the TTM.

HTH

·
Registered
703 Posts
Do you put separate biofilters in each bucket and/or monitor ammonia?

I’ve been thinking of trying it with three 20 gallon tanks and just using seeded sponge filters for each tank.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Do you put separate biofilters in each bucket and/or monitor ammonia?
Two day transfers, I've quit testing for ammonia.

Feed the first day, not the second. Usually won't try until the second transfer, 5th day. You're only going 12 days, a scant diet hasn't been a problem.

I will use an airline for larger fish.

20 gallon tanks - that's ambitious. I'd save that for really big, and or delicate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts