Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of MMMC's favorite activities at club meetings is to make our own reef food. We have had several meetings now were this was the main event. Basically, each member brings some of the ingredients we throw them in a big mixing bowl and use Tim's (skuttduck's) industrial blender to whip it up into a delightful food for our reefs.

We decided this year to share some of our special reef blend with the rest of the reefing community. A couple weeks ago we got together once again only this time we carefully packaged the blend and flash froze it to sell at our upcoming frag swap.

While the club and members donated many of the ingredients, Preuss Pets also made a very generous contribution with some of the best reef ingredients money can buy. So we want to give them a big thank you...plus they let us use their classroom to mix our food, something that most of us couldn't get the clearance from our wife to allow in their kitchens. (I wouldn't recommend trying this at home...the smell is something only a fish could like.)

While we aren't going to divulge exactly how to make this special reef food (to get in on that secret you need to join MMMC and attend our meetings:) ). However, I do want to share with you the lengthy mix of ingredients that goes into making our special reef blend. It should be noted that each of these ingredients is processed differently with the blender to achieve a variety of sizes that will feed anything from large fish to acropora.

saltwater shrimp
squid
silver fish
prawn roe
Cyclopeeze
Wakame Seaweed
Prime Reef Flake food
Golden Pearls (50-100 microns)
Golden Pearls (5-50 microns)
PE mysis shrimp
Reef Nutrition Roti-Feast
Reef Nutrition Arctic Pods
Kent Zoe
Kent Garlic Extreme

We will be selling our special reef blend at the upcoming swap on February 10, 2008. We are not taking reservations on packages before hand and it will be sold on a first come first serve basis on the day of the swap. For the price of the ingredients separately what we decided to charge for the reef food is a true bargain! We have two sizes available:

snack size bag (~4 ounce) -- $5.00
quart size bag (~8 ounce) -- $10.00

These will be frozen so you may want to make provisions to have a "cold" cooler to keep them in separate from our frags.

Stay tuned for a special video we had tekknoschtev (famous here on MR for his "how to" web videos) help us make while we made the food. We took some time afterward to feed the fish and corals at Preuss...you will be impressed at the feeding reaction the animals had to our special reef blend.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I would share some photos of us having fun making the reef stew:

Sandman and Squidward....

skuttduck...a picture is worth 1000 words, but it doesn't begin to describe how this stuff smells!

Tankster adding the Golden Pearls...we should have put that shirt in the blender too:p

your's truly with the Prime Reef and tekknoschtev capturing all the footage

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Here are some pictures of the corals & fish eating the MMMC Reef Stew....there is something for everyone in the reef tank ranging in size from prawn roe to Reef Nutrition Roti-Feast to fish size food of chopped squid & whole PE mysis shrimp! Look closely, it almost looks like Jimsflies jumped in the tank to get a taste!

The fish love this stuff!

The corals do too!

This is a neat sequence....this scoly almost turned inside-out to feed on the stew!
Adding a squirt of the reef food:

Feeders just starting to taste it:

Here it is just about inside-out:

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
If anyone from my area is going and can bring some back I would love 2 of the larger bags. I could send paypal and add the fees. Let me know. I will be in Disney World or else I would probably be there (last second trip). Thanks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
tommyb said:
If anyone from my area is going and can bring some back I would love 2 of the larger bags. I could send paypal and add the fees. Let me know. I will be in Disney World or else I would probably be there (last second trip). Thanks.
I'd be more than happy to pick some up for you but I'm not in your area! -devil 2

-Scott

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I'l be picking up a couple quart sized bags.They should be fine in the car, they are calling for a high of 9 on Sunday:eek:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Just FYI, The video is currently uploading to google video. My computer is not a video editing machine so... rendering times dictate that I can't fiddle too much with compression and re-rendering so youtube was out. I'm also going to get a DVD with the video on it to the swap so that it can be played there!

I will post a link to the video once its live. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Here is the long awaited MMMC Reef Stew video. This stuff seemed pretty amazing when I saw it being used, and hopefully I'll have a chance to give some a try in our tanks!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've been out of the loop lately due to work. (In Kapuskasing, Ontario doing cold weather development. It was -30 °F the last two mornings. :eek: )

Where is the swap going to be held? Directions? I would love to get some food if I can make it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve- Awesome job on the video!

The close-up of the hermit crab chowing down is cool. But the scoly's feeding response is crazy!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Will there be a microwave by chance? With the high temp of 8 dgrees I want to use one of my microwavable heat packs to keep the cooler warm, I'll have a seperate place for the food.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I don't know if there will be a microwave available or not.

For those that are concerned about keeping your corals warm in your cooler....I have found that placing a one liter pop bottle (or a couple smaller bottles) filled with WARM WATER (not hot) into the cooler with the frags. This will suffice for a 1 - 2 hour drive. Remember, you can always stop and refill the bottles as needed.

If you decide to use HOT WATER, the you should wrap the bottles in several layers of newspaper to prevent the bags from overheating.

ps...the reef food should be kept frozen! Put it in your trunk, not in your cooler!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Thanks Bob, I put towels over the heat pack and then place the frags above that. I think I will warm it up at home, I think it last for 3 or 4 hours.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Steve

That was an awesome video. Thank you for all the effort that you put into the video.

Of all the tanks that got fed at Pruess that evening, there were a lot of happy fish and corals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts