Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a process of doing a build on my Marineland DD and was wondering if anyone on Reefers has modifyed there MArineland stand.

Have to say it a rock solid stand Marinland Makes but there too fricking short, wich puts constraints on you when buying a skimmer.

I am looking to put a top on it to raise it about 6 to 8 inches so I can go with a decent skimmer.

Have been leaning towards a SWC 250 1a Cone or a Alpha Vertex 250, either way I will need to increase the height of the stand.

I myself an not a great do it your selfer :secret: but would appreciate some input for the pro's...

Which is you!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I used 6x6 pressure treated wood, just made a frame that the stand sat on....didnt look too bad when I painted it Black...looked like a simple riser. Gave me 6 inches more of height. Hope this helps

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good idea, do you have pics? I personally would skip the treated wood and the chemicals that come with it, but a good paint job will hiopefully protect you from that.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stand

I was thinking 2 x 6 on the top boxing it in with 2 supports that tie it together from front to back. This will sit on the plywood top, cut out my access area for the skimmer then throw another piece of plywood on the top. This would allow me the room I need for the skimmer and self cleaning head ;)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
We built a simple 12" riser platform on our 200g DD display in the shop. As simple as a 2x12 frame with some cross supports painted black. We were mostly going for increasing the display height as we didn't need more height for the skimmer chosen.

Doing the same thing with the new frame on top as you suggested would get you the space you're looking for. Although this combined with opening up the top of the Marineland stand itself is going to toss your warranty out the window on the tank FYI.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Yea didnt think about the warranty thing. I have their stand and it really limits the skimmer size. Not the height of the skimmer, but the diameter of the skimmer that will fit between the top edge of the sump and the bottom of the tank. I had to modify my sump just to fit my skimmer. I wish my stand was taller. In fact, I wish I had built my own stand. They seem to be too short and you have to bend over to look into the tank anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts