Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new T5 for my tank and i really like it. however it does not have any moonlights :(. I was wondering if moonlights were necessary? i have been reading contradicting information on them. for example i read they do nothing at all. And another site said corals continue to grow with them on and the fish enjoy them. Any Help?

G

·
from what ive heard moonlights are for the most part only beneficial to the owner of the tank so that they can look into their tank at night without the use of a flashlight. Ive read about corals benefiting from moonlight due to how they spawn but its pretty hard to replicate accurate lunar cycles in the tank.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
There is a lunar controller available from eBay and other retailers that directly mimics the lunar cycles in nature, and henceforth causes more frequent spawning, rapid growth, etc. Costs in the ballpark of $200+ depending on the model you would choose, plus the costs of lights.

I had them in my tank, just a few blues, and they make the tank pretty at night, and some glowing of the more flourescent corals. Other than that....nada.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
regular moonlights vs moon phase moon lights

regular moonlights are more for us I love mine to see who and whats up in the middle of the night. but does little for the fish and corals IMO a however moon phase lighting or moon cycling has proving to help both fish and corals to spawn.

·
Registered
638 Posts
canisson said:
There is a lunar controller available from eBay and other retailers that directly mimics the lunar cycles in nature, and henceforth causes more frequent spawning, rapid growth, etc. Costs in the ballpark of $200+ depending on the model you would choose, plus the costs of lights.

I had them in my tank, just a few blues, and they make the tank pretty at night, and some glowing of the more flourescent corals. Other than that....nada.
I found this moon controller a couple of years ago and just recently bought a lunar cycle computer for my new tank:
http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/product/moonComputer

It's a real nifty little controller. I thought the ~$120 I paid for the controller (includes one LED Array) and one additional LED tube was high . . . I couldn't imagine dropping $200! :eek:
Their lower end controller still runs a lunar cycle, but without the fancy timers and it's ~$60.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just finished writing a program that calculates sunrise/sunset (including twilight times) and moonrise/moonset as well as moon phase. I should add that it will be able to vary the intensity for the moon light just like the dawn and dusk lighting a lot of people do.This is going to become part of my new controller that I am creating. It will be fairly expensive but for everything it does, it will be as or more cost effective than currently available commercial systems, that I have seen anyway plus it is completely customizable.

Oh, and I would agree it is more for the owner of the tank than for the corals unless you really have that drive to get them to spawn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts