Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moving to a new tank and have a couple of questions about the sand bed

1. Should I move it and if so how? Will it cycle if I move it?

2. If I put in a new sand bed will it cycle my tank

The current sand bed is 4" deep and the tank is a 125 with a 55 gal sump and a 20 gal fuge. There is approx 125 lbs of live rock and the tanks been set up for 6 years. Thanks

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hello!

My biggest fear with transfering sand would be the release of phosphates or other "nasty's" in your bed. I could see possibly doing a partial swap or something and probably be alright if you just took the top 1" or so and then used fresh mixed with it. I dont know honestly if it would cycle, my guess with the amount of LR and taking partially cured sand would be if it did, it would be a very small one. Just skim wet/heavy and you should be fine. JMO. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
My suggestion would be to give me ALL your current corals, move whatever you have to move and let the tank cycle or clear or whatever will happen.

Then try to fight me to get your corals back!!!:eek:

Glad to see you still lurking around the boards Les! I tried moving my sand bed from my 4" 29g to my 55g...I wouldn't recommend it to you. It made a mess in the tank, took days to clear out of the water with filters and floss pads, and in the end I had another cycle and lost most of the beneficial goodies in the sand anyway. I ended up basically starting fresh.

Good luck my friend...see you in Lansing??? I'll bring the beer this time!:eek:rder

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I would only move the top 1" or so, to seed the new sand in the new tank. It is safer that way...

(I think this is what I am going to do when I move my tank....)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I agree with poseidon... don't move the whole sand bed, you will assuredly get a cycle. Just keep enough to seed the new sand bed. Or...like I did when I moved 6 months ago.. I went barebottom and set up the dsb in my refugium, but that is personal taste. I also read about adding bio spira to keep the tank from cycling. You can probably find the thread somewhere on MR. I didn't use it so can't really recommend it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys and Hi Rob great to hear from you again. Next question about sand. Who's got the cheap stuff and what are they calling it now Southdown, Caribbean play sand...??? I planned on only putting 2" in this time, what are the pros and cons of a shallow sand bed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
IME if you have a course sand bed you could move and reuse it. 4" isn't nothing. but if its fine sand, keep only the top layer of it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I dont know any pros on a shallow bed. In my experiance it will become saturated pretty quickly. The anerobic(oxygen free) layer that you get in a deep sand bed can break down nutrients. I think this process is inefficient at best in a shallow bed.
sb

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
shallow sandbed is really only for looks. It won't give you any nitrate breakdown. But you can keep some of the critters that live in the sand bed for your tank. I would still have a remote deep sand bed if you are only using an inch or so in the display. If you are going with sps, a larger grain size will keep ya from getting any "snowstorms" from too much flow.

·
Registered
750 Posts
ok im also switching tanks....but here is my thought...i dont know if it would work so please everyone chim in...take all LR and animals out drain almost all the water out...take the sand out put it in new tank....fill with half new and half old water...place LR in and then animals ????? i dont know

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well we recently went to a bigger tank 40 to a 120. We used all the gravel in our old tank inside the sump of the new tank, then got all new sand for the display. We used almost all the 30 gallons of old water and the rest new. We have been doing weekly-biweekly changes and have lost nothing so far (been almost three months now). So I think you are doing it right, excpet I would use almost all of your old water (if the new tank is larger).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts