Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We may be moving to Holly in the next 1 to 1yr and a half and we wanted to start gathering advice on how to move a reef tank. What are the best options? Should we just plan on totally selling off the old system and starting completely over or is there way to move the existing tank? Please offer your advice.Thanks,John:D

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is always a way.
I do not know how far Holly is from where you are now but you can bag everything up just like how you bought it. Make sure it stays warm. The LR can be put in tubs or styrofoam and maybe wrapped in wet newspaper. Bag everything seperate except similar species. Corals the same way. The live sand can be put in cleaned out garbage bags and tied tied. I use a 5 gal bucket with the bag inside. Fill it up with sand and little tank water and seal as best you can.
If you have a spare tank try and set that up before you move. If not save as much existing tank water to re-fill your tank when you move. Float al life (fish, corals) until all the sand has settled and everything is up and running. Keep them warm. Remember some of these animals are shipped 1-2 day before the even arrive at your LFS. But, do not take that for granted. Also, I heard that if you think it may be a day or 2 before you get the fish and corals back acclimated, do not feed for 1-2 days prior to moving. It keeps the bags clean and they seem to hybernate like.
Take your time, think like a LFS owner or coral/fish farmer and do it right.
This could be the time when you want to make all the decisions about how the tank it going to be setup, including landscape. Draw it all up if possible and have a plan.

Good Luck and if and when you do move let everyone know that can help.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have moved a couple of tanks and alot of it depends on what you have in the tank and how you plan on moveing the tank. I would suggest if you have access to both the house were the tank is now and the house that you want to put a tank back in that you buy another tank and set it up in the new house and try to get much of the sand and live rock over the that tank first. I say this b/c no matter what you do when you turn over the sand bed like that and move everything around there is no way around a cycle it just depends on how much of a cycle you are going to get! Therefore if you and move the sand and some of the rock first you can get though that cycle... Then go back and move the corals and rest of rock and fish.
If you are looking to keep everything in the same tank then you need to keep all the water and have other water on hand! I personally think the best way depending on how big the tank is, is to leave the sand in the bottom in the tank b/c once you start to stirr it up or take it out is when you disturb the bacteria and what not. So if you have a smaller tank with and small sand bed get a couple of guys to help you move it.....
You want to disturb as little as possible during a move so that you dont interupt the natural cycle.
Make sure to bag all corals in their own bags...If attached to rock but the whole rock in a large bucket!
Again take the time to do it right dont rush any part of it! Plan the whole move out so you know exactly what your going to do! The corals can stay in the bag for awhile as long as they stay warm dont rush to put them back into a tank that is not ready for them....there are also alot of nice people one here that might be willing to house your corals during your move so that you can get though your cycle... Might want to look into that??

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree, plan it out and think it through as much as you can up front.

-Home Depot 5-gallon buckets with the lids work awsome for moving. I've traveled across metro Detroit with 16 of them stacked in my Blazer without any problems.

-Once I arrived at the new destination, I placed livestock in a 32 gallon rubbermaid bin with a small heater and small powerhead. A little stress relief goo also.

-I'd also recommend having plenty of new water mixed up and ready to go into the system. Unless you are very careful plan on losing 10%-20% volume.

-Get the old water (+new) water circulating in your new setup as quickly as possible, and get that skimmer fired up.

-The two times I've moved, I let the tank settle overnight and then added the fish the following day.

Plan on it taking all day.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
find a good LFS and explain the situation. Many would be happy to hold your fish, and corals until your tank set back up, let it do its thing for a few days, and then go pick your stuff back up. They may charge you a fee, but i cant imagine it being too bad, and were only talkin a few days.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...

Thanks for all of the helpful advice. I'm hoping,if I plan well, to make the smoothest move as possible. thanks again, John:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts