Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a 29 biocube, 25ish lbs live rock, 20lbs live sand, intank media basket/fuge, and aquatic life 115 skimmer, 2 perc clowns, 2 pepp shrimp, misc snails and crabs, currently running a mj 1200 for return and a hydor nano 240 for flow, looking into my next upgrade and currently I have the option of a mp10 or apex controller, eventually will have both... Wondering which would be my best bet for next purchase?

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

Ok, so I have a 29 biocube, 25ish lbs live rock, 20lbs live sand, intank media basket/fuge, and aquatic life 115 skimmer, 2 perc clowns, 2 pepp shrimp, misc snails and crabs, currently running a mj 1200 for return and a hydor nano 240 for flow, looking into my next upgrade and currently I have the option of a mp10 or apex controller, eventually will have both... Wondering which would be my best bet for next purchase?
Apex first. You can pick-up a cheaper pump for a biocube

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree on the cheaper pump, the mp10 is just too awesome, it is def in the near future plans, any specific reason you say apex first?

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMHO i would go with whichever is the very best deal at this time. with just a biocube your not controlling that many things really. you say your planning on having both eventually. so i would go with best money savings now.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

I agree on the cheaper pump, the mp10 is just too awesome, it is def in the near future plans, any specific reason you say apex first?
Monitoring, automation, and conditional programming. I have have the module to control my 4 mp40's wirelessly.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Monitoring, automation, and conditional programming. I have have the module to control my 4 mp40's wirelessly.
If you have a BC and are looking at high end controllers and pumps the pattern is that you will go bigger. But having both and a Bio-Cube in the past monitoring the PH and Temp in addition to timming the lights and any dosing that you are doing is more important that a mp10 especially if you can buy a koralia pump and put it on a timmer or better yet mod it to the VDM ports and create you own controllable pump at a fraction of the costs. If your heater goes crazy and smokes your tank your pump will not help but the apex will send you an email and shut off the heater if the programming is correct.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do eventually plan on getting into a bigger tank, currently in a 1 bedroom apartment though and don't want anything bigger as long as I'm doing the apartment thing, I like the idea of having full control over everything with the apex, leaning towards it for sure, anyone with a biocube that already has/ had both have any input on this one?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Apex. Mine is useful every day. No more annoying light timers. Ability to turn off lights and pumps and accessories while doing maint. Or if I want to watch a movie. All from my iphone

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
heaters are the number one reason people crash their tanks. they will eventually fail and 90% of the time they get stuck on. i would recomend that you get the Apex and control the heater. just set the temp on the Apex to 77 and set the heater at 79. that way if you program the Apex wrong, the heater will only take it up a few degrees higher than desired. protect your investment now prior to making improvements.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point! I like the input there that's a very strong and valid point for the apex! I have to find one on amazon though since I have a $156 from trading in books lol, looks like it maybe buy mp10 now since the apex available on amazon are very slim selection :/ and try and get the apex used at a decent price on the next 2-3 weeks hopefully

1 - 12 of 12 Posts