Michigan Reefers banner
10K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  New Reefer 
#1 ·
Everywhere I've read anything about firefish it says not to keep them together. On rare occasion I've seen some people keeping just a pair together or more in the same tank, not meeting the minimum requirements for keeping more than a single. Does this rule of not having more than one in a tank apply to the different sub-types to? Like having 1 Firefish + 1 Purple Firefish? or even for a daring person, a Helfrichi + Another Firefish?

#7 ·
both the purple and the red can be kept in groups. you are trying to keep aggression on an individual or individuals down so you need to have more than one or two targets. i have seen both in groups of 5 and more in aquariums with ample room to swim and hide. if you are trying these in small tanks the group thing is a bad idea. pairs rarely work out unless they were a pair when you got them.

#8 ·
I have a pair of helfrichi now that I bought one and then about 6 weeks later I went back for the other one which was still there. When I reintroduced them they either recognized each other or contrary to belief they are social with each other. I wish I had a video of when they first got back together it was very cute. I have also introduced two red fire fish at the same time from a large group at an lfs to a 30g cube ( my last tank) they paired right up. Slept in the same hole and everything. I have heard that purples are very aggressive and need to be seperated. I have a purple in a 7.5g at work not sure if I want to try another or not in that small a tank.

#12 · (Edited)
I have two red firefish in the same 30 gallon tank and it seems as though they like each other at times but usually they are trying to nip at each others top fin. I've been considering getting rid of one of them but they aren't too easy to catch without tearing apart the tank. I wouldn't recommend keeping only two together unless they are a male/female pair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.