Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am waiting on some filamented flasher wrasses to come into my local fish store. i am hoping to get one or two females and a single male. but they say they dont always have control over the sexes but they would try. the rep also said that i could just get 3 young males and they would be ok in my 90G, and that they would still flash. he said at one time he had 3 male long fin flashers.
now i know what live aquaria says, but websites like this tend to be a but over cautious on some topics. so im just asking around before these fish come in on wednesday. do you think three males will be okay in my 90G? will they still flash?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
That one I do not know. I know with most fish more than one male usually doesn't work out. But with wrasses it may be different, I'm unsure. Hopefully cmaxwell will chime in or someone else who has had long standing experience with wrasses. Maybe they will be able to shed some light on this.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Flashers males tend to be more docile than fairy males. With that said, I think it would be a big risk starting with three males of the same species would be asking for trouble. You would be better off waiting for a male female pair or trio, or keeping males of different species together.

Once again, with flashers you may get away with it, I just don't think I would try it.

Just so you know, in nature these animals live in large harems with all starting out as females. The largest and most dominant turns male. If the male dies or gets removed from the harem, many of the larger females will may start changing, until one dominant one completes the transition. The others will either revert back to females, or remain subordinant males.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Flashers males tend to be more docile than fairy males. With that said, I think it would be a big risk starting with three males of the same species would be asking for trouble. You would be better off waiting for a male female pair or trio, or keeping males of different species together.

Once again, with flashers you may get away with it, I just don't think I would try it.

Just so you know, in nature these animals live in large harems with all starting out as females. The largest and most dominant turns male. If the male dies or gets removed from the harem, many of the larger females will may start changing, until one dominant one completes the transition. The others will either revert back to females, or remain subordinant males.
Great info. I learned something I did not know. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
When I had my fish store I had a dozen fairy wrasses in the same tank, never minded eachother a bit. Even had a solor wrasse in there with them, they ate mysis like pigs and loved to all bury themselves in the same area. They came bagged together from a supplier in a "fairy wrasse grab bag" I was not expecting them to all be in a one bag, but they all lived quite happily to sale. Obviously it might be a different story in a home tank as there is something about fish stores that change a fish's behavior.... (vodka dosing maybe?)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup, got a great lid. i really hope this works. the reason these fish are appealing is their color changes. so you would think that females would be hard to find in order to intake this reaction. WHY? WHY is it so difficult!? lol.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
where is DD? Full name?
I believe they are referencing DD as Divers Den on Liveaquaria.com

Divers Den is updated every evening around 5-6pm with the most current livestock list available. Usually the prices are a bit higher as the specimens you are seeing in the pics are the ones you are getting. Often times they have pairs and trios available of various species of fish. But, it is completely random and you dont get to request something. If you see something you really want, dont hesitate as it usually isn't available long before someone else buys it. I found out the hard way a couple times.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the wrasses are supposed to be in today. Hopefully they got some females too. Will post pics later.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THEY CAME! THEY CAME! THEY CAME!
i got my wrasses and i didnt even have to add 3 males to the tank. i got a male and 2 females. it was hard to tell at the LFS if the 2 were really young males or females but now that i have gotten home and have inspected them i got to small females and one medium male!
thank you kee's aquariums for ordering me these, the price was perfect.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just after adding them the lights began dimming so they burried themselves. they took great to the tank for the short time they were swimming around. no one gave them a hard time. im glad to have a fully stocked tank now, both fish wise and coral wise. time to sit back and watch everything grow. ill post pics in the morning as i dont have classes right away. they are awesome, the males were flashing a bit in the store, it was amazing.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Glad to hear that you were able to get a trio with a couple of females. You will really enjoy these fish. They are great additions to a tank, adding lots of movement and personality. Great pickup.

Oh, and I agree, some pictures are in order.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so you can blame my genetics professor for there being no pictures this morning as promised.

anyways heres some pics of the females, the male went and hid right after feeding so he's dumb. ill get a pic of him hopefully tomorrow. when hes out they all stick pretty close together so hopefully i can get a pic of all three.

and heres my sweet fungia i got at the swap,lol...

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well heres a pic of 2 and a half of them lol

and heres a blurry one of the male doing a little flash ( consider it censorship)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts