Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Well, this past weekend we were at Fish Doc's in Canton and we bought several things.. while they were great and very helpful with us... since we went in 15 mins before they closed (didn't know they closed so early).
Anyways.. we bought an Emerald crab.. my first one and he'e awesome
A Orange Shoulder Tang.. which is doing cool as he's about to start his color change.
Some shrimp to feed the fishes.
And 2 $5 mushrooms they had in the bottom of a tank.

well, we get home, drip everything in, and the next morning, BOTH of my mushrooms are missing! One detatched from its rock and I went to re-position it and it fell into a hole in my rock :( farwell mushroom #1

The next, I could NOT find for the life of me!
And then I saw it...moving... a crab STOLE it! LOL it decidedhe needed to upgrade his shell and picked the one my new mushroom came on!.. 2 days later after being draged around the tank, it fell off.. now it just floats around the tank.

Although I enjoyed my first trip to them... I won't be getting any corals from them without ensuring it is secure to a base.:(

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
It's common for mushrooms to let go of the rock and blow around the tank, especially when stressed (like going to a new tank, or being dragged around for a couple days by a crab) or overcrowded. Not the stores fault.
I have shrooms in all kinds of strange places from them doing this. If you have many shrooms you will too eventually.

To get the loose shroom to attach try putting it in a shallow dish of rubble in a low flow area, and put some netting like bridal veil over the top to keep it there. Once it attaches to the rubble you can glue the rubble where you want it, but there are still no guarantees it will stay there if unhappy.;)

Oh and try using a turkey baster to either suck or blow the shroom out of the hole. Sometimes you can get them back out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DlBerlin said:
It's common for mushrooms to let go of the rock and blow around the tank, especially when stressed (like going to a new tank, or being dragged around for a couple days by a crab) or overcrowded. Not the stores fault.
I have shrooms in all kinds of strange places from them doing this. If you have many shrooms you will too eventually.

To get the loose shroom to attach try putting it in a shallow dish of rubble in a low flow area, and put some netting like bridal veil over the top to keep it there. Once it attaches to the rubble you can glue the rubble where you want it, but there are still no guarantees it will stay there if unhappy.;)

Oh and try using a turkey baster to either suck or blow the shroom out of the hole. Sometimes you can get them back out.
Thanks, I'll have to try to get it out with our baster..

I've got the mushroom in a very low flow corner ontop of a lot of rubble, hoping it will picka new peice to connect to. But I thought I'd jsut lease it there and it can grow on and in any direction it desiers. Do you think the light will be good for it on the bottom of a standard 10g with t5s?

And it's not that I'm mad at the store.. just disapointed at my mushrooms wondering away :) LOL

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
As stated, mushrooms commonly "let go" from the rocks that they come in on, which is why you will see so many detached in dealer's tanks. There is nothing a store can do about this. This type of "problem" could have been resolved without a negative feedback thread by simply communicating with the store.

·
Registered
224 Posts
as stated it is not the stores fault at all...i have mushrooms that i thought i got rid of and they are all over my rock work...had one of my nice rics let go and i had to look for it..it happens sometimes but i would not bash the store for that

·
Registered
748 Posts
Not Fish Doctors in Canton fault about the mushrooms.

But if you bought the Orange Shoulder Tang for your 55 gallon and you TOLD them you were putting it in a 55 gallon- then that IS their fault.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CK1 said:
Not Fish Doctors in Canton fault about the mushrooms.

But if you bought the Orange Shoulder Tang for your 55 gallon and you TOLD them you were putting it in a 55 gallon- then that IS their fault.
We are upgrading soon (to a 200).... couldn't pass it up since we haven't seen one in a LFS in months
And like I said.. not mad at the store, but more my crab for picking THAT shell..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts