Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I did this correct and I do not know if it is good or bad???
I am using a marineland Alkalinity Test Kit.
I counted the number of drops total to get to a yellow/green color of the test water. It took 6 total drops.
According to the directions it has two methods.
First is standard test where you divide the 6 by 2=3 (mEq/L).
Second is the Precision Test where you divide the 6 by 4=1.5 (mEq/L).

Parts Per Million (ppm)CaCo3 is the 3 x 50= 150ppm or 1.5 x 50=75ppm
English Degrees Carbonate Hardness is the 3 x 3.5=10.5 or 1.5 x 3.5=5.25
Grains Per Gallon CaCo3 is the 3 x 2.92=8.76 or 1.5 x 2.92=4.38

Now that I have some numbers, which ones do I use and how do I know if I am in the correct range?
Any information would be helpfull.
I will also be posting the rest of my params on this thread but, I just wanted to get this out there.
Salinity=31, Specific Gravity=1.023
PH=8.2 but very close to 8.0 too (how do I get PH up?)
Nitrate=20
Nitrite=0
Amonia=0
Calcium=400ppm

Thanks all,
Mark

·
Registered
379 Posts
The easiest way to do it at least what I do is use the original number. So your alk is around 6 you want it to be b/w 8 and 10. These numbers represent dKH and transfer as such: 11 dKH = 4 meq/L. To sum up you may want to consider raising your alk a little, but make sure you go slow. You can do this a couple different ways 1. you can spend a little extra money and buy the 2 part calcium/alk buffer made by multiple companies such as kent and bionic, or 2. you can use a cheaper homemade version from this article http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php/#5
Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 950 meq/L of alkalinity (2660 dKH). As mentioned earlier, Arm & Hammer is a fine brand of baking soda to use in these recipes. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

I hope this helps
Brent

1 - 2 of 2 Posts