Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Thomas, I have had a previous setup then due to moving and going through a nasty divorce and raising a child i took some time out of the hobby. Well here is my current setup hope you all enjoy.

Tank- AGA
Stand- Home made, made out of Teakwood.
Sand- Live and Silica mixed
Live rock- Roughly 50lbs
Filtration- 1 DIY bottle
Current- 2 big powerheads 1 has bottle attacthed, 2 small internal pumps
Lighting- 1 30-36" Soloarmax HO 2 bulb T5, 1 24" Coralife 2 bulb T5
Livestock- 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel
Corals- Green Mushrooms, Purple Mushrooms, Kenya Tree's, and a couple other unknown names.

I wanted to go as natural as i could on this setup and it seems to be doing really well! I am in the process of ordering a skimmer for the setup. And i do have plans of one day building a 10 gallon sump for this tank.

GEDC1265.mp4 video by motocrosstcw - [email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid497.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr335%2Fmotocrosstcw%[email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid497.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr335%2Fmotocrosstcw%2FGEDC1265.mp4

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice video. What is behind the rock on the right side (side where heater is)?
That is a 20oz bottle it is a DIY filter and it has been working amazing lots of life growing in it!!! I have been pretty satisfied with it compared to my HOB i took off.

Video and pictures were taken early this morning after the light was on for a bit so nothing is popping like they normally are...:3195:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Nice setup. You say its a DIY filter full of life. What did you do to get life growing in the bottle? Are there mall holes in it, any kind of macro or media? It looks as if it is hooked up the to powerhead.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes full of LIFE and there is holes cut into the bottom of it and powerhead is attatched. It has filter floss on the top layer mid layer is little rocks and crushed coral all packed together and the bottom is more filter floss. I didnt do anything i just let it do its own thing and i clean it now and agian.

Nice setup. You say its a DIY filter full of life. What did you do to get life growing in the bottle? Are there mall holes in it, any kind of macro or media? It looks as if it is hooked up the to powerhead.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had recently put a skimmer on my tank, Thanks to a great friend of mine he let me borrow his extra until i got mine ordered. Might i say what a wonderful difference in tank quality!!! I will have more pics soon as i added more live rock.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took today and spent a little quality time with my uncle who has battled his way through cancer and i became really close with through out. We sat together this morning drinking coffee and thought up of a simpe but yet nice look for a canopy with side walls. Beings i have DIY filters inside my tank this really makes it look a whole lot better. I took apart my ballast i had before witch had water proof endcaps and connectors so i mounted them underneath the center brace a 3" higher then the top of the tank. I place the ballast inside the brace, I also mount a 12V computer fan to the rear of the canopy to help keep it cool for the H/O's and for the air exchange. It has a hinged front lid with a handle. I enjoyed building this him and really enjoy the quality it adds to the tank. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update- I have taken both little bottles out and replaced them with a 1L bottle built the same way. I have re aquascaped for maximum flow behind and through my rocks, and low flow on the mushroom side of the tank. I am now running just 30" T5 H/O 2 bulb setup instead of a 24" 2 bulb along with it. I am very pleased with the hood setup it did exactlly what i wanted it too do witch was lower the temp inside my tank now the lights are off the top of the water. I also mounted a fan with helps alot for the air flow inside. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VID_20120130_103404.mp4 video by motocrosstcw - [email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid497.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr335%2Fmotocrosstcw%[email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid497.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr335%2Fmotocrosstcw%2FVID_20120130_103404.mp4

They seem to be doing good under just the H/Os later on i might add the 24" again if i run higher light corals. But here is a video update as of today. I apologize for the quality its off my cell phone. ENJOY! :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Suggestions

I was doing alot of thinking about LED night lights, my uncle had had this 220 bulb fixture and i thought i would try it as a night light. I would like all input on this if its to bright ect... Thanks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Looks like a bit too much white light for a night light. the purple is nice though and would look good if you could raise it up higher to spread the light a more. If there is too much light, some fish will never relax enough to sleep for the night and could cause stress.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts