Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my anenome go smaller after i topped off my water. it is about 1/4 of the size. also i was wondering what kind of water to get sence i do not have ro water system. any help i would like what ever i can get thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you are not using RO water you should buy some at your LFS.Do you have a reef?When you topped off your water did you use de chlorinater to take out the chlorine?What have you used before?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Your tank is too new for an anemone. It likely has been havign problems and is just starting to show them now. Your tank should be at least 6 months old and they really are recommended for advanced keepers as they are not easy to keep.

Another problem is tap water - I'm assuming you didn't use anything to dechlorinate it? Also, the water should be ro/di to avoid nutrient spikes. It should also be added slowly, not dumped in at once (not sure if that's what you did). Daily top-offs are also better vs once weekly as the tank is more stable this way. What type of lighting do you have? How frequent are your water changes? What is your salinity and how are you measuring it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i did not put any thing in it to dechlorinate it i dont know where to get ro water. i was thinking on getting drinking water for the changes. i do my water changes about every other week or when i get a high nitrate or amonia reading and i take out the 5 gals and then add about one gal about every 3 min to let it mix with the other water. my salinity is at 1.023 to 1.024 i use a hydrometer. i have led lights and it did not start to show any effects till i started to tun it off at 9 pm and back on at 7 am

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and how i have been feeding it is taking a baster and putting some brine shrimp in a cup of the tank water and shooting it in the direction on the anemone so it can catch the food and take it in

·
Registered
385 Posts
RO/DI water can be bought at the fish store you frequent or even some major supermarkets are now carrying the water. At least RO water IMO should be used. Depending on how much water you change per week and how much water used from evaporation, I would consider purchasing a RO/DI water filter and making my own water.

You did not mention the type or size of the anemone in question. I doubt he will get much nutrition out of brine shrimp; I feed mine pieces of shrimp or other raw seafood. I usually turn off the pumps, then gently hold the piece of seafood next to his mouth and then wait for him to grab hold of it and begin to eat it. It usually takes only a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
no i did not put any thing in it to dechlorinate it i dont know where to get ro water. i was thinking on getting drinking water for the changes. i do my water changes about every other week or when i get a high nitrate or amonia reading and i take out the 5 gals and then add about one gal about every 3 min to let it mix with the other water. my salinity is at 1.023 to 1.024 i use a hydrometer. i have led lights and it did not start to show any effects till i started to tun it off at 9 pm and back on at 7 am
Here are the problems.
1) Water has chlorine to kill anything living in it. If your tap is city water, it most likely has chlorine. If so, I'm really surprised anything has lived 2 months so it may not be it.

2) There should NEVER be ammonia, it is very toxic. You likely added things before the cycle was finished. Nitrates should also never be high - invertibrates are very sensitive to nitrates.

3) Your salinity is low - and may even be more off as hydrometers are very poor indicators of salinity. You really need a refractometer, or have the lfs check the salinity with a refractometer to see how far yours is off. Salinity for a reef should be 1.025-1.026 ideally.

4) 1 gallon per minute is fast. I would add the water using airline tubing - the slower the better really. For my water changes, it takes about 15-20 minutes for 5 gallons to be added.

5) A 14 hour photo period is a lot, but is not causing the problems. The tap water, nutrient levels, and age of the tank are.

Here's what I recommend - take the anemone to the lfs or give it to a friend. You really have no hope of keeping it alive in your tank currently. Same for any other inhabitants. Anemones are very sensitive, so it has started to show distress signs first.
Let the tank cycle completely using ro/di water or at the very least di water from Walmart or a grocery store (not the best but its better than tap). Use this time to figure out a routine for water changes and to get the basic husbandry down for saltwater. Then, once things stabilize and you get the hang of things you can start to add livestock slowly.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh. We were all beginners once, but many of the mistakes we made years ago are now easy to avoid. This hobby is not easy or fast, but rewarding once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Some MB7 would help your cycle to complete faster and I agree with weimers75, way to early in the game. I'm 7 months into mine and am struggling with an anemone myself that I recently got. If he doesn't come around soon back to the lfs he goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.