Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My float valve stuck on my ato last night. The float got stuck on the on position and the 'safety' float above it got stuck too. Luckily my ato bucket is a 6 gallon salt bucket and not the 55gallon barrel I was going to use. The salinity went from 1026 down to 1023.

Q:Can I just wait for it to evaporate down to the proper line or do I need to do a water change with salt water to kick it up a little?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
if everything seems fine i would just wait for the evaporation personally because it is a natural slow acclimation process rather than a rapid change.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Evaporate so the change occurs slowly. This is why I will never trust floats. Any backup float is often at risk to whatever external event or condition that caused the primary float to fail. Too scary.

I'm glad you had an small ATO container Tom, rather than a drum or worse yet - direct connection to RO/DI.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if everything seems fine i would just wait for the evaporation personally because it is a natural slow acclimation process rather than a rapid change.
Sounds good. I think I'll just wait for it to evaporate, thanks.

Evaporate so the change occurs slowly. This is why I will never trust floats. Any backup float is often at risk to whatever external event or condition that caused the primary float to fail. Too scary.

That's exactly what happened, Tom. When I removed the floats, both had lots of those small calcium encrusted feather dusters, blocking the movement. It's sitting in vinegar now.

I'm glad you had an small ATO container Tom, rather than a drum or worse yet - direct connection to RO/DI.
Yeah, I kicked it around some, but decided to go the small reservoir route.

What do you recommend to replace the floats? The Tunze looks good and it seems lots of high end folks use them.

Tom

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My Tunze osmolator has been rock solid. The non-wearing optical sensor and a transistor switch without any moving parts has been the best addition to my reef tank. The overflow alarm is loud enough to wake me up at night if something were to happen. This happened in the beginning due to a syphon effect but I set the overflow alarm close enough to not really effect my specific gravity too much. I will say that the top off flow tube needs to be ABOVE the FW storage tank to avoid syphons. I have been running this for over two years and my SG has been rock steady (besides for the one time due to user error). It is well worth the money!!!!!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
What do you recommend to replace the floats? The Tunze looks good and it seems lots of high end folks use them.
Tom
I use an Osmolator (primary = optical sensor, backup = float) with failsafe handled via a salinity probe managed by an Apex. If the salinity drops below 34.5 PPT, is shuts off the Osmolator and sends me an email and text alert.

I also dose Kalk and Vinegar in my ATO. It's a bit expensive, but I travel a lot and to me, the peace of mind is priceless.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ive been using a Osmolator for 7yrs now. They are rock solid IMO. The only issue to watch for is the optical sensor getting dirty over time may cause it to stop working. A light cleaning does the trick.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I agree with the evap.I never use ato's just for this reason.I prefer to use a meter liter pump and program it do make up on an average daily amount.It works for me and there's no floats,sensors or anything to fail other then the surgical tube,and if that fails it doesn't flood the tank.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I agree with the evap.I never use ato's just for this reason.I prefer to use a meter liter pump and program it do make up on an average daily amount.It works for me and there's no floats,sensors or anything to fail other then the surgical tube,and if that fails it doesn't flood the tank.
+1. Team Liter Meter for over 8 years.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1. Team Liter Meter for over 8 years.
I'd never thought of that one. I've never used one. How did you guys figure out your daily evap and how much to dose? Sounds foolproof.

Are these things expensive >$100?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I picked up a used one for $75 and ran it for 7 years... it finally died when I dropped the unit into water and fried the board. I picked up a newer one here on the board for $200. It runs line of 25 to 30 feet and up from the basement without a problem.... and quiet too. As far as evap rate, I just used trial and error! It dials in after a while. Adjustments are easy too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
+1 on the Ozmolator. I bought a used one from this site 5 years ago. In addition to the extremely tight level control from the fiber optic primary sensor, and high level float switch, it also has a 3 minute max run time for extra safety. Well worth the money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts