Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 270 Fowlr (Build)

I finally popped my cherry as far as big aquariums go! I have had a 92 gallon corner unit and a 90 standard up and running but nothing of this nature. I recently picked up a 6' x 2' x 3' 3/4 Acrylic Tank with Oak stand and canopy custom made by IPI of Hudsonville MI. I almost put a sleeping bag in it last night but the was scared my wife would have made me keep sleeping there.
Anyway I am going to need alot of help with numerous questions over the next month or so while this baby gets up and running. First the tank has two overflows (one in each corner) with a 1.5" (maybe bigger havent measured yet) drain and two (another guess) 3/4" returns. The fittings on the bottom of the tank have all been taken off. I would like to order all new bulkheads. My question is since the overflows are 3ft tall you will only be able to get your hands on the bottom side, can I install the bulkheads properly? Next is I need to build a sump for this tank, but also want a holding tank underneath it to mix and pump water for the water changes. What size sump would you recommend? Should I one big tank under it and partition it off or use 2 smaller tanks?

Thanks for any help! Also will post pics and keep thread updated as I go along with this project!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are going to set it up fowlr for now and see where we end up later on. For now I intend to use a 48" 4 bulb t5ho untill its all set up then I will look into replacing the light.The fish we want to build around are: Volitan Lionfish, Porcupine Puffer, Harlequin Tusk, Naso Tang, and a big species of eel ( dragon moray, tessalata eel). Any suggestions as to how to add them or to add with them would be greatly appreciated as is any help with my questions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! Be careful with your selection of puffer. Lions and most puffers have potential compatibility issues.
Thanks, my wife wants a puffer and a lion fish that was the whole reason I was able to pick up this bad boy. So I will definatly have to look into or if anyone has any advice that would be great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I stick my standard 90 in the stand and partition of 1/3 of it to hold water for mixing salt etc, then use the other roughly 60 gallons for a sump. Would that be enough to work with in your opinions?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
You should be able to get the bulkheads plenty tight from just working on them one side.

If you want I live about 15 minutes from you, you are wlecome to come over and chat about big tanks. Two of my display tanks are over 500 gallons.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would use the whole 90g as a sump refugium. Mix your salt water seperatly. This will save you problems in the future if that mixing section were ever to leak into the other chamber.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do you have a basement? If so you might want to look into a basement sump, that way you could have your water mixing station right next to your sump. I have all my equipment in my basement, and love the space.

·
Registered
653 Posts
With the big time waste makers you are thinking of keeping I would not cram the water mixing under the tank either. You are going to need a good sized skimmer or large algea harvesting system to keep up with the tank. Also it looks big under there now, but once you start putting things in and thinking about keeping maintenance easy (becasue it won't get done as regularly if it isnt!) it is going to shrink fast! Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everyone. No basement here so thats not an option. I wanted to have the mixing chamber underneath to try and keep maintenance easy. Cant use 5 gallon buckets like I did with my 90!

Tanglovers I may just take you up on that option. Always nice to get advice and see awesome display tanks.

The tank is 270 gallons so with the 90 as sump/refugium brings me to 360 gallons total. If im able to I might try to squeeze a 40 breeder under there as well for the water changes then and make it an even 400! :3195:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree with the others, in having the entire 90g as your sump and put it behind the tank if possible. don't forget to ascess the over a ton of weight on the floor and add extra floor support. I think most of us mix the salt in food grade drums. On the bulkhead issue, I would recommed the sch 80's for the bottom of your monster tank and once you cement your first piece of pvc into the bulkhead you will have a handle to hold on to to tighten the bulkheads up. also use a little non toxic silicone grease on the rubber washers before installation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with the others, in having the entire 90g as your sump and put it behind the tank if possible. don't forget to ascess the over a ton of weight on the floor and add extra floor support. I think most of us mix the salt in food grade drums. On the bulkhead issue, I would recommed the sch 80's for the bottom of your monster tank and once you cement your first piece of pvc into the bulkhead you will have a handle to hold on to to tighten the bulkheads up. also use a little non toxic silicone grease on the rubber washers before installation.
I own a manufactured home and will be putting the tank directly along one of the steel I-beams that run under the home. Also will be bricking up to the I-beam to support that so it doesnt bend over time. I guess if I had a big drum I could keep it in the shed and bring it in to mix salt one day a week I could get the wife on board with that. Thanks alot for the advice and I will look into the sch 80's right now. :victory:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The 90 may fit under the tank, but can you still reach into it easily? I think it's too tall to use for a sump directly under the tank. Getting the skimmer in and out, reaching your daughters toy that "some how" got in there,...I'd post it for sale or trade for some 50 breeders. JMO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 90 may fit under the tank, but can you still reach into it easily? I think it's too tall to use for a sump directly under the tank. Getting the skimmer in and out, reaching your daughters toy that "some how" got in there,...I'd post it for sale or trade for some 50 breeders. JMO.
Ill have to look into it. The new stand is 36" tall the 90 is 22 or 24 I forget..

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ill have to look into it. The new stand is 36" tall the 90 is 22 or 24 I forget..
36" tall minus the 3-4" for bracing on top and bottom gives you around 32" and a 90g is 24" tall. That only gives you 8" of clearance. And under a stand that is not much. You have to be able to more or less crawl under your tank, and reach your arm into the sump. I'm guessing your forearm is about 16" and that leaves you 8" shy of the bottom... now you have to get the rest of your arm in there to reach the bottom and so your shoulder would have to be between the top of the sump, and the bottom of your tank. It's quite the squeeze! you would be much better off using a system of smaller (shorter) tanks in the bottom.

I like to mix my water in a 55g tank. mark the tank at an even 50g of water, then fill it to that point and add a 50g sack of salt... no measuring needed! mix well, and then do a water change. Make it easy as pie :)

If you want to go the 50g breeder route for sumps, I have a few I am selling for cheap. they are already drilled in the center back and might make good sumps if you are interested.

Otherwise I have a plethora of other tanks and equipment you could use to setup the tank.

Do you have a washroom in your house? maybe a furnace room??? If you have a few feet of space to spare, you can set up a nice little sump room, and make it 1,000,000X easier! If not, it is still very doable, just have to be prepared to spend a chunk of time on the ground...

You have a sweet tank, and could do a lot of cool stuff in there. Just have to take your time and plan it right. Do you want any kind of coral in there, or just a fish only? With your fish list, there is a large assortment of coral you could keep, but most small fish, and inverts would likely be out of the question. I can see a juv pinnate batfish looking cool in there. But that's only if you want to keep it fish only...

Scott has an amazing setup, if you can find some time to go over there, he will leave you awe inspired :jester:

Keep us updated, I love following big tank threads!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. I really dont have room for a sump any where else unless the wife lets me plumb it through a wall into our coat closet. Which probably wont happen so I will need to figure out something to keep it under the stand.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts