Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have arranged to upgrade my 10G (stocked with fish and live rock) to a 24G nano cube.

I am picking up the 24G this weekend and it was from an established tank with live sand and a little water still in it.

Can anyone run me through a "TO DO" list of how to move everything over?

I was planning on buying more sand and some live rock, use some of my water from my next 10G water change and get it running with live sand, my water and live rock for the first 15-20 days or so. Then begin acclimating. But - I am just guessing right now.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
937 Posts
slowly you are adding 14 gallons of new water thats 60% not real safe imo
add mabee 5 gallons of new water todays and all your old water and stock 5 gallons in 24 hours and next day top of??? this is of corce IMO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... anyone else had advice? I'm in no hurry to move the fish or all the live rock over immediately.. so i can wait to acclimate over a couple water changes and use a couple gallons a week to add to the nano 24g.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if this topic has been discussed before - I will gladly search it, just can't seem to find the right keywords to find what I am looking for. Would be great to have some gameplan before I get my new tank.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I would remove the sand and start fresh, moving an established tank without disturbing the sand bed is very difficult.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi ken.

What do you mean by removing the sand? Maybe I messed up my explanation.

I am buying a 24G with livesand in it and some water. I plan on adding some sand to it, and some of my live rock - then adding more liverock to it (purchased). Other than a couple pieces of rock, I don't plan on moving anything else over initially.

What I was wondering if it would be better to use some of the water from my rhoutine water changes in my 10G and add that to the new tank as I get it started up and running with no fish in it. Then once things seem ok - start moving the rest of the live rock and livestock over.

I have obviously never done this before... so just curious.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If having both tanks up at the same time isn't a problem, I would setup the 24and let it cycle before adding any of the livestock from the ten gallon. The 24 should cycle fairly quickly if it already has established live sand.

·
Registered
344 Posts
you say the tank you're buying has "some" water in it, is it still running? if not you definately want to put it up and let it cycle, if it is fully running with flow and all, then it won't take long to cycle at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts