Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am on a SPS thread but have a 150g mixed reef. Want to throw out my water parameters and get thoughts. First temp is set at 80 due to the fact that it runs warm in summer and it is not such a large swing. Salinity is 1.025
PH- 8 to 8.2
NH3/NH4- 0 ppm
NO3- 10-15ppm
NO2- Hard to see exact color but >then .05 ppm
alk- high range 3.6
above where tested with a Red Sea Multi kit
Ca- 400 to 425
Mg- 1380
Tested with Saliferts kits
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
To start with you should have no nitrite in the tank. If it is reading above 0 then you need to investigate where the nitrite is coming from.

Next, you need to get the nitrates down. What are the details of the tank? Size, sump/fuge, skimmer, stocklist ect. Depending on the answers to these questions it will help us to give some ideas on the best way to lower the nitrates.

I am going to assume that the alk reading was in meq/l and not in dKH. If this is true then it is on the high end of the normal range. Depending on what kind of fitration system you are running it should be fine, but if you ever get into a ULN state by lowering nitrates and phosphates to nearly undetctable levels, you are probably going to want to bring it down a little. This may simply mean changing salt mixes, or cutting back on your dosing for a while.

If the reading is in dKH, then it is very low and needs to be brought way up to support the growth of corals with a calcium carbonate skeleton. I would shoot for an alk in the 7-9 dKH range.

Finally, what are your phosphates at? This is a very important level to check for SPS. With your nitrates being a little on the high side I am going to guess that your phosphates are probably elevated as well. If this is true then you will want to lower them as well before you get into SPS.

You have a solid start, just need to make a few minor adjustments to get water quality to where you are going to want it, nothing is way far out of line, just needs to be tweaked a little.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts