Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to MIReefers but not to marine aquaria. I am setting up a nano and want to go LED that is affordable, I found a light that seems feasible for the setup I want, but I wanted to see if anyone here has tried something similar. The setup I want is a standard 10 gallon tank focusing on mostly softies, but I would like to be able to do sps as well. This light screws into a standard outlet, is half 450 nm, half 16000 k, with 12 diodes totaling 12W and with the remote you can adjust both sets individually (pretty neet).

Here is the website: www.LEDwholesalers.com - High Dimmable PAR38 White + Blue LED Aquarium Reef Corals Grow Light Bulb

I do know that this particular light does have quite a few DOD incidents, I'm willing to deal with that, but will this light suffice for a 10g reef?

Also, has anyone used ledwholesalers.com before, if so, how was the experience?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I am no LED expert, but judging from the size I don't think you would get much spread over a 10 gallon tank, would prolly need two, unless you like the pile in the middle type look. 10 gallon might not be a good long term home for SPS corals... they tend to grow when they are happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked the spread, it should be fine, and I'm not worried about the sps, I don't know if I would do any at all, but it would be nice to have a couple of small trees or something else hardy. I'm not worried with water quality, I have ran a nano along with a 110 and 50g reef setups for a long time with no problems of water quality, but I have never gotten into LED's due to the cost, but I figured with small tank it would be worth it. I just sold my two larger setups and I just want to focus on a smaller tank now. Leaving for the military in 7 months anyway.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
No, with 1w leds you are wasting your time and money. Try these they are more money but will work I have used some that are the exact same design over a 7.5g tank and I was cooking sps at first. I had to lift the light to 22" off the surface.
Orphek Reef aquarium Led lighting Blog News
With the 10g tanks you are probably going to want 2 bulbs for proper coverage.
If you really want a kick butt look at the dif pendents. Check out the par readings on the par38s last one on the par page :victory: really cool!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way too expensive, I like the light but that is not do-able for me. The reviews for the other light are very good, with people successfully growing softies, there weren't many posts about sps though. And as I said, I'm not that worried about it, I mostly want something that just looks good I suppose, if I wasn't joining the military it might be a different story, but I can't even afford the light you recommended. Thank you though, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I run the PAR 38 over a 2.5gallon Pico with fair success - I've not been able to grow all zoas, but mushrooms, softies and the like are fairly solid. I test move them from my DT to the pico to see what will work. IMO - you're getting what you pay for and it sounds like you're familiar with running a system.

I bought mine about a year ago from RapidLED - doesn't have the remote but has a nice mix of colors. A nano is going to be limited in choice of corals anyway and if you're cool with it. The biggest challenge may be effective skimming for your 10g system, especially if you aren't piggybacking the WC off of a larger display tank. Are you thinking of running an HOB or a sump?

Here's the link to the light I've been running: 7 LED PAR38 Bulb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

I received the light in the mail earlier today, went to Lowes and got some hardware to hang it. The light works and looks great. The remote is definitely a great option, it works wonderfully. The best part is that you can set the 16,000k's and the 450nm's at whatever level of power you want and save it. I thought with this option you would not be able to use a timer, but if you set them where you want and save it, you can pull the power and when you plug it back in it keeps the settings. So I set up a timer on it.... the only bad thing is you can't have the 450nm's come on first/turn off last. But for this little nano, I'm not worried. For optimal coverage I would get two lights for a tank this wide, and I might. But for a pico, or a taller narrower tank, one would be perfect.

You're right, I'm very comfortable running a system. I just sold my 110 and 50 gallon reef tanks that I've had for a few years, because I'm leaving for the army in about 7 months, but I just bought a cheap 10 gallon and kept a few items and threw them in here. Since it was so small I thought LED's would be affordable enough, seeing as I have been wanting to do them since they came out, but as a college student with those big tanks it wasn't even close to affordable. I had T5's on the 110 and PC's on the 50.

I took a few pictures to post on here but I can't figure out how to upload them to MI Reefers, can anyone point me in the right direction?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts