Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 120 gallon tank is up and running great and all of my corals and fish seem to be doing really well. I am one of those people that is never 100% satisfied with my projects/hobbies which is probably going to explain the next part of this post.

When I set up the tank, I was presented with two different options for substrate (as well all know setting up a new tank is ohhhh soooo cheap) :rolleyes: I could use either a really fine sand substrate (not alive) or the caribean sea arginate live sand substrate (difference between the two for the amount I needed was about $150.00 - at the time a lot consider the other stuff i needed, but not a lot now). I went with the fine sand substrate and I'm not really that happy with it. The look is okay, but i can't have the flow I want or need because it will blow every where.

I was talking with another fellow reefer and he said that it would be okay to put the caribean sea arginate live sand right on top of my existing sand (just move the rocks out of the way first and try not to disturb the sand that is in the tank). Based on this persons tank, I tend to believe him.

I really think that I want to do this, but was wondering what other people think.

1. Is it okay to put a different substrate over top of a fine sand substrate (currenly only 2" deep)?

2. If yes, what is the best substrate to put over top that can handle a lot of flow?

Sorry for such a long post, but thank you for reading it and providing any advise/insight!!!

:D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
it's going to mix over time, so you'll have the fine sand on top with the larger sand in the end, so you'll probably still get some blowing around..... if I were to do it as you want to, I'd get some plastic tubing, get the syphon going then start sucking out the sand, and get most of it out, then put the new sand on top of that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts