Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has been up and running for about 9 weeks now. I believe the tank has cycled, as my Ammonia and Nitrite are 0ppm and my nitrates have been testing 0-5ppm range for the past few weeks. I did notice a bit of a diatom bloom yesterday, but that may have been brought on by me (added new LED lighting & a 10g water change). I'm not too alarmed as that's typical at this stage and have experienced this with prior tanks. I'm planning on introducing my first fish and inverts this weekend, but I'm now wondering if I should let the bloom run it's course. Would there be any ill effect to a fish (clown) by introducing him during this bloom or would it not really matter?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you're reading zero for nitrates/nitrites and have zero or very few corals, then there's no need for the water change. The diatom or cyano bloom is normal and is hopefully short lived.

You're doing all the right things. So no problem with adding the clownfish and inverts. You may see another bloom in diatom/cyano/algae because you're starting to input nutrients into the tank. Just make sure that you've got a good export method whether it's skimmer or macro algae.

Good luck...and share pics.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm currently running a reef octopus classic on the tank so I should be set for nutrient export from the tank. Here are a few pics of it currently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts