Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 280 gallon tank + sump, and I need to choose a skimmer. I am currently thinking an ASM is my best bet for the price, but I am confused by the options. I am looking at the ASM G-4, G-4+, and G-4X. They are all similar in price (within $50), but the differences are not obvious to me. Can anyone help me understand the difference? Any recomendations are welcome too. My experience up to now is with a 20 gallon nano, so I have never dealt with this kind of equipment before.

Dave

·
Registered
632 Posts
Basically, the difference between the G4 and the G4+ is the pump size, from a sedra 5000 to a sedra 9000, and then the difference between the G4+ and the G4X is the height of the tube, 24" to 30". I have a G4+ on my 220 with about 40 gallons in the sump. I did not have the hieght clearance, or I would have gotten the G4X, since the price difference is so small. They are very easy to use, just set them in the sump and plug them in. There is a riser tube on the side which is used to adjust the height of the bubble column. There is a very simple mod for this which uses a gate valve to precisly control the type of skimmate you prefer. Also make sure you have the horizontal space in the sump to accomadate the footprint. The G4X looks like is has a bigger footprint than mine, you might have to go to a wider sump.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
That is what I was trying to clarify. From the dimension I found, I may be in the same boat as you. I would like to go for to G4X, but the height would be pretty close under my stand, and the footprint would require a different sump, so I'll probably end up with the G4+.

·
Registered
632 Posts
As far as the height goes, you only need another 1/2" to get the collection cup off. But, if it is that close, it might make it a little inconvienent to wiggle the thing out from under the stand. And believe me, you do NOT want to spill that gunk!-devil

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read good things about octopus, but they don't seem to have a needle wheel model rated for as many gallons as the ASM G4+ (400 gallons), and the large reciculating model is more expensive. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts