Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 150 gallon tank I just have fish in there now but I would like to put coral in it. I have talked to allot of people som:close_tema:e say led some say t5 some say metal halide what would be the best I want to be able to run hard and soft corals any ideas

·
Registered
217 Posts
LED's, MH, T5's can all work for any coral as long as you have enough of them. There are trade-offs with each and everyone has a different opinion and experience. You are not going to find any concensus on what is best since there are so many variables except maybe that if you have the money...get LED's.

·
Registered
653 Posts
In my opinion LED's are the way to go if you can put the money in upfront, lessen the blow by DIYing them, plenty of info online (this is what I am doing on my next build) Even so I like the look of MH with T5 supplementation better, but the heat, bulb replacement costs, and energy costs are driving me to compromise

·
Registered
401 Posts
DIY - LED - Costs are about the same compared to medium end halides with a multiple factor reduction in energy use and heat production. Doing it right though for a big tank requires planning and some basic electronic skills.

Commercial LED fixtures - Can be very expensive, but you get the energy savings and fancy dimming options (although I consider this worthless and a gimmick, IMHO). Color not as good as DIY options. Some of the cheaper budget Asian fixtures throw a lot of light for the money but you'll be whining about the color.

Halides - They work, they look good-great if you choose the right bulbs, and the grow anything you want. The downside is the heat issue and power consumption.

T5 - I'm not a T5 fan for bigger tanks purely for aethestic reasons and not growth reasons. However, the newer fixtures with high tech reflectors are more energy efficient than halides, and you can switch out an endless variety of bulbs to dial in the color you want.

T5 / Halide hybrid - has the bonuses of both halide for main lighting and T5 for actinic. When done right yields better color than either stand alone halides or T5s, again, IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts