Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Im getting a little overwelmed over here trying to decide what i really need as for dosing. As for Corals I have zoos, and a variety of softies for the most part, nothing too complex. however I would like to start doseing proper elements to make them happier. I was going through some mag. and see a bunch of stuff from buffers, iodide and iodine, strontium and molybdenum, Calcium, Magnesium and iron, Kalk, alk and calc. !! I did some reading and some of them seem to do the same or similar as the others. My question is what are the minumum essentials people use in there reef tank? Or do you dose all of them? Pleae all info is apprieciated.

Thanks, nick

·
Registered
643 Posts
With what you're currently keeping... If you use a good salt with trace elements in it (or added) you shouldnt have to worry about most of that stuff, just keep up on regular partial water changes...

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Hey Nick,

Number 1: Don't dose anything that you're not testing for. Always test before dosing to be sure that you need to.

For me the main 3 are Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium. The first two I need to add almost daily, Mag only every few months. My need for Calcium has dropped a lot after all the fragging I've done lately, Alk requirements dropped a bit too.

That being said, unless you're packed with corals(like I was), regular water changes should keep you levels in check. :D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I personally wouldn't dose any trace element. However, even in a FO it is very important to keep alkalinity in check (you need to keep the buffing capacity of the water high enough to resist pH swings). I would also keep calcium and magnesium in check, regardless of what type of corals you keep. Soft corals, especially leathers, have a calcium carbonate support structure and can drain an aquarium of its supply.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot everyone. I was looking through the Dr Foster and Smith mag and started reading into all the additives and was overwelmed for a minute. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts