Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys i have no idea what to do about this but i have 20g tanks that are connected in the middle with 2, 3/4 bulk heads. went out and bought some algae and some live rock rubble ,put it all in fuge and i can seem to get the algae to stay in the one chamber .to try and get the stuff to stay in the one tank i put 2 elbows on there and turned them down and tryed to cover the elbows up with the live rock as you can see from the pic that did not work it still gets by the bulkheads so now i have $15 worth of algae going in to the display tank slowly i have been scratching my head for the last 3 hours trying to find away to stop this from going on. does any kno what i can do please help...

also i found this thing in my tank anyone kno what it is ...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Do you have a pick of the the full sump lay out? Maybe you could try puting some mesh over the return intakes, or building a box out of egg crate and covering that in a small diamiter mesh. Are you able to get any plumbing into the returns. Could always put a 90 and some PVC to the surface at the water level. Kind of like an over flow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could always put a 90 and some PVC to the surface at the water level. Kind of like an over flow.
This is what I did on my system and it works great. Just flip your 90 elbow up and pop in a piece of pipe. The length you choose will set the water level. Might be a good idea to put an intake strainer to keep out snails and such.

Not the greatest pic, and mine is drilled closer to the top. But this hopefully gives you the idea.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Do you have a pick of the the full sump lay out? Maybe you could try puting some mesh over the return intakes, or building a box out of egg crate and covering that in a small diamiter mesh. Are you able to get any plumbing into the returns. Could always put a 90 and some PVC to the surface at the water level. Kind of like an over flow.
Agree. I do essentially the same thing to keep caulerpa in one place in my sump. It works quite well.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think the others have the sump issue down. As for your mystery creature... That thing kinda looks like a very unhappy peanut worm lol. I hope that gives you a place to start your search at least.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot guys i did try to turn the 90 up and put a pipe in line but there is so much turbulence in the tank that the algae does not stay in one place it is moving all over.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
thanks alot guys i did try to turn the 90 up and put a pipe in line but there is so much turbulence in the tank that the algae does not stay in one place it is moving all over.
Depending on the type of algae it is (for example most sp of culupra) it can be anchored to some live rock with fishing line until it roots. That may help keep it from blowing around like mad.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i found out what my prob was with my chaeto and macro going trough my sump in to the dt .i had the water level to low in the first chamber witch was making the the water flow to great in the first chamber ,so when i rasied the water lever 2.5in the chaeto and macro was just sitting there chilling in the tank lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts