Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This montipora and all corals in my tank have been showing growth.

The white area on the monti has me worried.

Nothing has settled on it. Has anyone ever experienced this?

WHAT IS IT?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
any little critters on it after "lights out"?

G

·
how close is it to other corals maby someone's slime is stingin it at night

also I would be wondering about the possiblility of a nem that could have gone past and stung it too

but to me it realy actualy just looks like some sand settled on it have you tried to blow it off with a powerhead or your hand faning it

G

·
nem = anemone schminksbro

is it getting shade in those areas that it is going white might just be getting ready to start another shelf looks like a cap coral

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It is a just a little bleaching. Those Montipora will do that, it is not like it will crash on you, but you might want to move it a little farther from the light. Your lighting is very strong and those Montipora can only take so much. I am sure it will be fine as long as it gets a way from some of the light. There is a small possibility that it is Detritus on it, but I don't think so. Your 400 watt MH's put out a lot of PAR, which is good because you want a tank with mostly high light loving corals. Hey if worse came to worse and it RTN'd on you, I know where you can get another Montipora Cap like that for the same price as I have been charging you! :D Your tank will do fine, really it has a lot more growth that needs to happen, young tanks can take a long time to settle in, months to years. After my tank was up, I had red slime algae on my sand (this was after I thought the tank was done cycling), but since my tank was less than a year old, I knew with solid husbandry, it would clear up and it did. You are on the way my friend, just keep up the good work!

Dan

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Taylor_made said:
It is a just a little bleaching. Those Montipora will do that, it is not like it will crash on you, but you might want to move it a little farther from the light. Your lighting is very strong and those Montipora can only take so much. I am sure it will be fine as long as it gets a way from some of the light. There is a small possibility that it is Detritus on it, but I don't think so. Your 400 watt MH's put out a lot of PAR, which is good because you want a tank with mostly high light loving corals. Hey if worse came to worse and it RTN'd on you, I know where you can get another Montipora Cap like that for the same price as I have been charging you! :D Your tank will do fine, really it has a lot more growth that needs to happen, young tanks can take a long time to settle in, months to years. After my tank was up, I had red slime algae on my sand (this was after I thought the tank was done cycling), but since my tank was less than a year old, I knew with solid husbandry, it would clear up and it did. You are on the way my friend, just keep up the good work!

Dan
And Dan, if you need more you know where you can get it at the same price also!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Taylor_made said:

Dan
I think there is a bit of confusion on what "bleaching" is. A white patch like this is actually recession (tissue loss). An overall paling of color would be indicative of bleaching (loss of zooxanthellae from coral tissue).

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2002/cw.htm

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What is the pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, specific gravity, and temp? How do you supplement calcium and alkalinity? Have you examined the coral for nudies/eggs?

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
mhltcob said:
What is the pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, specific gravity, and temp? How do you supplement calcium and alkalinity? Have you examined the coral for nudies/eggs?
PH 8.2

Alk not to sure, re- ordered new test kit - Salifert had issues with the 1 part kit, the new one now is a 3 part test.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium 400

Phosphate .03

Mag ? test kits are back ordered.

Salinity 1.025

Temp 80 and steady.

Supplement calcium - calcium reactor.

Supplement Alk - Kalk reactor.

Phosphate reactor online.

Carbon reactor online.

All other corals are fine and showing signs of growth.

Tonight, I raised light fixture 50%.

Let's see what happens.

Just that coral is showing signs of weirdness.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Do you have other Montipora spp. in the tank? I'd be suspicious of nudibranchs. If not those then something odd looks to have damaged those areas of tissue.

Agreed with mhtlcob though, this looks like tissue death, not bleaching.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yeah, i would try moving it down and seeing if that helps. They need slow acclimation to high light. I had a cap that was fine, but when i got a new reflector it couldnt handle the light from the same bulb, even at the bottom of the tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts