Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Neptune Jr, it has a temp probe and pH probe. I also had to buy an interference blocker (of course I found after I bought the Neptune Jr) to keep my pH probe from going hay wire. My first temperature probe went kapooey, then 3 months later the new one went kaflooey. My pH was always low per the Jr., then after my second probe went out, I noticed my pH was normal, low in the morning and OK by evening. I plugged the temp probe in to see if it might be working and guess what? The pH went low again. So I basically bought a glorified light timer! How can I trust either the temp or pH? I liked that I can shut off my MH light if the temp got too high, but now, no way can I trust that (the temp was 103 according to the probe!) I do think the pH is right on, it did check with my chemical check. Talking to the one rep in California is always fun, he is short and to the point, he is not actually rude, but I would never hire him to talk to customers. If any Neptune Jr owner thinks I am doing something wrong, I am open to suggestions. For anyone thinking about buying one, there are other controllers out there, caveat emptor.

Dan

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm giong to try that with my tank - unhooking the temp probe - and see what happens to the pH reading.... the pH readings are acting normal - low in AM right before lights turn on and high in PM when lights turn off - but I cannot ever achieve pH of 8.3 even with kalk being dripped in with top off.. I chalked it up to excess CO2 in the house..

but maybe this is the cause... very interesting... I'll find out tonight. what has neptune had to say about it? they have a sponsor forum on RC..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I hear you Dan! I bought an AC JR with DC8, lab ph probe, serial port, all the goodies, only to find out i have a very expensive light timer like yourself. My first temp probe lasted about 6 months, i contacted curt and had to ship him the old one and he gave me a new one. About 2 WEEKS later the same thing happened. Temp bouncing all around and up to 118F sometimes, and lights turning on/off sporadically. I contacted Curt again and he said "i'll replace it again but this is the last time for free?" implying it was my fault. I spent more $$ to ship back another probe, and he said the sensor was interanally cracked, now how could i have internally cracked 2 temp sensors in 2 weeks? The final sensor he sent was different that the last 2. This one is a little bigger and sealed in some sort of epoxy or something. I have since switched to a ranco for temp controll, but i will never buy from neptune systems again. Over on RC there are long threads with this happening to lot of people, but curt insists the failure rate on these is less than 1%:eek: . I haven't noticed any problems with the ph probe, yet. Everytime i look at it i think" that sure is a nice $300 light timer:(

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I would dump it and go with a profilux unit. I could not stand having to deal with curt. He was not a pleasure to talk to and always acted like i was bothering him. Man i don't miss that!!
With the profilux you wont have those issues!!

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I've talked to several people having the same problems with the temp probes lately. Several have went to a Ranco for temp control.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deb, when you say Ranco, do you a heater with a separate temp controller? My tank temp stays pretty good, I have three heaters on the sump that's in the basement and I have a floating temp/salinity thermometer in my display tank, I needed a reliable thermometer because the Jr was/is not reliable. One of the reasons I bought the Neptune, was to use the power of programmable (I used to be a programmer and I understood the language, but man I am not sure how non-programmers understand it) pH and temperature. That way I could shut down lighting and doser respectively. Now all it does is turn the lighting on and off and really it doesn't do that well either, lately when my MH lighting turns on the actinics shut off and after a while the actinic will come back on. I bought the HD interface because if the MH lighting. Curt is a terrible PR person, the fault of the probes are faulty probes not a user issue. I assume as time goes by Neptune will go out of business because of threads like this. I would hate to see any MR person buy a unit from them. Raptor's recommendation of Profilux is a good one, I have heard nothing but good things about them. Because of $$ I am stuck with my expensive light timer (unless someone wants to buy it?, just kidding) but at least I can warn potential buyers.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
Yes I use an Aquamedic heater on a Ranco temp controller. The Ranco turns the heater/ and or chiller or fans on and off at your chosen set points. Very reliable.
I've only heard good things on the Profilux controllers myself. Sometimes I'm tempted to try one of the high end controllers, but I'm here all the time, and it's a bit more complicated (I think) with the tank and sump being so far away from each other. I just really dont need one, and cant justify spending the money on it.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without veering to far off thread, Deb, how many heaters do you have? I too have the sump and frag tank in my basement, which is great in the summer but I underestimated the heating in the winter. Do you have to have a certain heater to use with the Ranco controller?

Also, I am home all day, I should have passed on any controller, live and learn.

Dan

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
This year I have so far gotten away with just one 500w heater. I switched out my glass sump for a rubbermaid stock tank and it seems to insulate better. Last winter I ended up with 2 500w and a 250w to hold the temp. You can put any heater on a Ranco. It just turns the power to the heater on and off based on the temp. The one I use is made for use with a controller and has no built in temp control. If you use one with a temp control you just set the heater for slightly above where you have the Ranco set.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Dan, if i were you i would demand a refund, do it on the phone, through e-mail and through their forums on RC and try the retailer you purchased it from also, if all of you make big enough stink maybe it will get resolved faster.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kenbow19, thank you for the encouraging words. I really don't think any of us will get a refund. To be honest I am not up for the fight, more than anything I wanted to give prospective customers a heads up. Also I believe there are many here that really like their Jr., maybe I just got unlucky.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Dan

Neptune has had issues with the temperature probes. Mine actually went bad the night before I left for a week on vacation...getting up at 4 am before lights on and seeing the temp read out say 103 degrees will wake you up right now! I don't think I have ever moved so fast to flick on the light switch...expecting to see reef soup. Fortunately, it was "just" the probe.

Anyway, another reefer friend got a new probe from Neptune last week and it is quite a bit more substantial so I would try one of the new probes.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Dan, I haven't had any issues with mine. Well, I was shipped a unit built in 2007 that had 2005 firmware on it. I couldn't update it myself and had to ship it out to curt. He was not the greatest person to deal with on the phone either.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I also have a Jr. and have been keeping a eye on it for any problems, the amount of temp probe failures is ridiculous and i have lost all confidence in their units and customer service.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
well, i tried to replicate the pH thing but couldn't.. it appears to be working indepedent of the temperature probe being plugged in or not...

after reading this thread, I hopped onto the RC forum and saw quite a few people having issues with thte probe and getting them replaced 2 times before they got the beefier version... I had an issue with the cable from my AC jr to the DC8 and he sent me a new one pretty quick... It appears his preference is to resolve the issues via email rather than the open forum like he used to... but he is sending people replacement probes instead of saying tough - at least to the people airing it our on the forum where other's can read it...

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I have to give thumbs up to Neptune's customer service overall. I think they have had an issue with the temp probes, but within reason they have made it right. The forum on RC is extremely helpful to get questions and issues resolved, either directly by Curt or other reefers.

I appreciate not having confidence in the controller. However, given a probe that works I think they are a decent piece of equipment. I have thought about adding the expansion module which includes a second temp probe. I'm thinking that you could probably set up the program to signal an alarm if the probes didn't agree with each other. Of course, that's another $175 for the expansion module.:eek: (But it would be fun to play with extra sensor capability and a diy top off unit using the aqua controller.)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Dan, geez I feel terrible. I feel responsible for you getting that. Other than it won't graph my dosing pumps right and one temp probe I have had no problems. I am not sure the PH is correct as we have discussed, someday I am going to borrow a probe and test it. Overall I love mine. I will say some of the higher end ones are tempting me. I would contact Curt again he has been fair with me.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slapshot, don't feel bad at all. Everyone makes decisions, it's no big deal. Curt has responded and sent out a probe, I have not asked him to send me a new, it's a little hassel as I have to send him the old one. The thing is, I don't trust it and so if I program it do act upon a probes measurement, then it could be a bummer. I noticed that latley, everytime my MH fires up, my actinics go out, they come back on about a 1/2 hour later. I do like the graphs and it is a relieble timer. It also doses when I ask it too. Curt has been well curt on the phone, probably just his personality, but it is strange that he has a CS postion. Would I recomend this unit, prolly not. Maybe the AClll is a much better unit.

Dan

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Dan,

I was doing a little work around the tank today and just got a drop of water on the controller where the temp probe connects to the unit - total fluke accident. Well, my lights turned off because the temperature read 140!:eek:

I immediately unplugged and let dry... I plugged in later and everything back to normal. I just thought it was a wierd coincidence with the timing of this thread and what happened today.

I may have to get a backup probe...
-Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts