Michigan Reefers banner

new babies, feed question

826 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  serendipty rose 
#1 ·
Hello,
I just had my second batch of H. Reidi fry. I have about 60 of them (40 look happy and healthy). Last time I just collected the few I found and took them to the interested people at my LFS. Since I have so many, I am tempted to keep a few and try to raise them. I have read about copepods being excellent food for the little boogers, and I have an abundance of them in my big tank. Is there any way I can transport them to feed the fry tank? How do you catch those things?
Feeding fry has been the biggest deterrant; keeping me from attempting it.
I will be giving the rest to my LFS, hopefully they will cut me a deal on feeding/maintenance when I am out of town in May.
Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Callie

#2 ·
Hi, Callie
copepods are good first food, but next to impossible to collect enough to keep a batch of fry with food. With H. Reidi the best thing is fresh hatched brine shrimp. It should be no more than 1 day old at first and should be San Franciscan strain. If you need some PM me I have extra and am close.

callie said:
Hello,
I just had my second batch of H. Reidi fry. I have about 60 of them (40 look happy and healthy). Last time I just collected the few I found and took them to the interested people at my LFS. Since I have so many, I am tempted to keep a few and try to raise them. I have read about copepods being excellent food for the little boogers, and I have an abundance of them in my big tank. Is there any way I can transport them to feed the fry tank? How do you catch those things?
Feeding fry has been the biggest deterrant; keeping me from attempting it.
I will be giving the rest to my LFS, hopefully they will cut me a deal on feeding/maintenance when I am out of town in May.
Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Callie

#3 ·
Thanks, I have some and hopefully they will hatch tomorrow night. But I appreciate the offer. In the meantime I took a cotton ball and swabbed the side of my big tank, then shook it in the baby tank. Hopefully that'll hold them over for a while.....
Wish me luck!
If anyone is wanting to try to raise fry let me know!

#7 ·
Thanks for all the support and response!
I got your PMs... but since I got them through one night...
I have a little tank set up, so I think I am actually going to try my hand at this. They've munched on a few copepods, and I am still waiting for my brine to hatch- hopefully in the next few hours. Otherwise, I will contact you for some hatched brine!
The first package I got didn't mention needing an air line, and another package I got did say you need one. Can they hatch without a line?

For those who wanted some fry, my horses are pretty frisky and I will be having more I'm sure! I will definitly be getting too busy to keep the little guys during the next year, so I can contact you again if you would like when I have another batch (by May I will be too busy to raise babies for sure).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.