Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm getting back into the hobby after being out for about 6-7 years. I'm going to be starting off with a FOWLR, possibly moving on to a reef eventually. I previously had a 55gal reef. This tank I've got a 75g main tank with a 30g sump. For the tank filtration, I've got a Reef Octopus skimmer (can't remember the make off the top of my head but it's a good size). My question is that with a moderate bio load, will the skimmer/live sand/live rock combo be enough to filter the water or would you suggest supplementing with something additional? I've been reading that people use this method as well as the additional canister filter or something else. Anyone have a suggestion or personal experience? Thanks!

Tank specs:
75 gal main tank
30 gal sump
Coralife 250W HQI metal halide lighting
Reef Octopus Skimmer
Tunzie Wave Maker

·
Super Moderator
306 Posts
Looks like it'll be a nice tank. I'd say you're good with the skimmer and live rock. Just don't slack on the regular water changes. I don't think many people are using much mechanical filtration these days. A filter sock may help if you don't mind the maintenance. I do run GFO with carbon and an algae scrubber but a lot of people don't have the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks good. I just keep up with water changes and things remain good. You don't need that much light with a FOWLR though. You could just go with a daylight and actinic blue 2bulb t5. I use just the 2 48 inch bulbs on my 110 and the spread covers the 60 inch width just fine. Also the Tunze ATO is great to keep the salinity stable

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. As for the halides, they came with the setup I bought off someone. I'm eventually going to switch over to LED's most likely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts