Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fish only tank that i am changing over to combined reef / fish. I currently have damsels, clown fish, and a large puffer and large lion 6-8 inches each. The tank is an 80 gallon. My Puffer is a PIG. Will eat everything and anything (including a blue throat trigger, multiple tangs, clowns and plantlife) I also think he and his buddy the lion are too big for the tank. Now for the questions, A) are there corals that would be safe with this setup? B) if I am to sell the lion and puffer what is a reasonable price to ask?

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
I, myself, am fairly new at keeping reef tanks. HOWEVER, my understanding from reading of others experiences you should tend to avoid aggressive fish in reef tanks as many of them will pick at your polyps. I feel that would include the lions, puffers, and possibly even the damsels. Also, the volume of the tank and depth would help affect the fishes response to and behavior in the system.

Someone chime in with a more experienced answer?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Both the Puffer and Lion are docile and don't require a large volume of water so I would say that an 80g tank is probably OK. You just need a really good skimmer.

the concern with puffers and lions is that they will eat other livestock more than a concern about coral compatibility. the lion will not bother coral at all although it is possible the puffer will. I wouldn't let this stop you from trying some though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Puffers will eat any coral in a tank. Not necessarily to eat it but use their teeth to experiment everything. The lion on the other hand wont mess with. Corals but any small fish or invert could become a snack. If you did an aggressive reef you could keep the lion.....for now, but both fish will outgrow that tank. Just know that in a aggressive reef, no small fish or inverts can be added.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would love for those two guys to be my first edition to my new 270g fowlr set up. If they end up for sale pm me please. Beautiful fish. They should probably be in a bigger tank to handle their bio-load alone not to say the lion should get 12-15 inches with in the first 2 years , not sure of the width on your 80.
I am have very little experience with coral so cant help you there. For value the black volitan of that size can be worth between $40-$100 depends on store/private seller.
The puffer Im not sure cause Im not familiar with the species.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts