Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow reefers,

I was just told all my calupera in my refugium dead off over the ten days I have been away because of work. I recommended to get my nitrate tested since I won't be home until tuesday and do I water change. The nitrate using red sea is at 20 ppm!! After a 30 percent change the nitrate is still at 20ppm. The tank is 48x24x24 - protein skimmer - metal halides - softie tank! Any reson why the algae died off so sudden and if I buy more would it reduce my nitrate?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
did you have it on a light cycle? best way to keep caulerpa is 24hr lighting. did the temp sneak up on you? that could have done it too.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

It could be that you had a bact. boom and it starved it out. But its odd that it would happen that fast. In any event if you are thinking of biopellets now would be a good time. I installed 3 months ago with amazing results. But it did kill all of my macro algae therefore if you go this route you need not buy more.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Do water changes - that stuff can do a number on your chemistry when it dies.

No idea what caused the death, but be sure to keep it on a 24 hour light cycle so it doesn't go sexual and crash your tank.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Calup, can go sexual. Basically it goes to seed and then all dies. You can pretty much prevent that with 24 hour lighting. The real danger is in it giving up phosphates and other bad stuff back into the water. You should remove all of it, do a water change, wait a days and do another water change. then you should be fine.

As stated above 20ppm is not that bad for a softy tank. Them you get to start over with your fuge. I would try to use Cheato next time, it dies not do this.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will be back home in the morning. However, from what I was told the light in my refug want out and my protein skimmer motor stopped while I was out town. The refug has been without light for 2.5 weeks. I did have my PO4 checked and it was zero (using a red sea kit). When I get home I plan on doing a nice water change. Where can I go to get some Chaeto?? I will probably need enough to cover a 10x12 area.

Does anyone keep softies anymore?? It seems like the rave is SPS!! Dont get me wrong SPS tanks are beautiful. However so are softies. I wish I could put the two together

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will be back home in the morning. However, from what I was told the light in my refug want out and my protein skimmer motor stopped while I was out town. The refug has been without light for 2.5 weeks. I did have my PO4 checked and it was zero (using a red sea kit). When I get home I plan on doing a nice water change. Where can I go to get some Chaeto?? I will probably need enough to cover a 10x12 area.

Does anyone keep softies anymore?? It seems like the rave is SPS!! Dont get me wrong SPS tanks are beautiful. However so are softies. I wish I could put the two together
i actually favor LPS myself. and i really like softies. they move with the flow!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you ever get to my area,I harvest chaeto often and i'm due again. I have softies in NY sps tank along with lps.some do quite well and what doesn't,I just move to the other tank

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anoah - That was my reason for staying with softies. There is something very relaxing about watching pulsating Xenia or a rock covered in GSP swaying in the tank and so on!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a 15gal that's overgrown with zoas; green implosions, gobstoppers, king midas and others. I also have three tennis ball sized Acan colonies that are growing well. I feed it by mincing a 1" chunk of beef heart in a blender, and dumping it in a tank. The filter feeders are so voracious the water turns from cloudy to crystal in about an hour. Iodine drops are mandatory.

Had xenia in the tank, but the green implosions ate them. Seriously. I've started to slowly add some SPS (montipora) to the tank, and it's doing well, but it's a juggling act. Softies and LPS prefer much higher nutrient levels, or preferably your cat using the tank as a litter box. SPS don't like this, although they don't need such absurd low nutrient levels as touted either.

Most tanks I see having a succesfull mix of both SPS and softies are usually quite large so both species can have their own ecology. Not impossible, but tough to do in a smaller tank. SPS for instance, especially acros, prefer higher alk/calc/pH levels while most zoas would prefer to live next to a sewer run-off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts