Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've was thinking of vodka dosing, then vinegar dosing,but now I decided to just buy a reactor and start running Brightwell Katalyst. Has anyone used this in a reactor before? Kinda curious how long it takes to work. My nitrate is at 40ppm

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
there are several threads on here talking about running Bio Pellet reactors. I would read through them thoroughly before bring that reactor online.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi, I use a bio-pellet reactor with BRS pellets and it works great, my nitrates are almost undetectable. Note: bio-pellets will take a while to fully kick in, BRS states up to 2 months and I agree that it takes 3 weeks plus to see anything measurable, so keep up on water changes during that time period. After mine was fully kicked in, I do a 10 percent water change every 10 days.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I use a bio-pellet reactor with BRS pellets and it works great, my nitrates are almost undetectable. Note: bio-pellets will take a while to fully kick in, BRS states up to 2 months and I agree that it takes 3 weeks plus to see anything measurable, so keep up on water changes during that time period. After mine was fully kicked in, I do a 10 percent water change every 10 days.
The only thing I couldn't find an answer to, is can you overdose with these pellets?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I am not using one yet but, will be in time. From what I have read, yes you can in a sense over dose by adding to many pellets. When you first start using them, you will want to soak them in RODI water for several days. Then you will want to start adding the bio pellets at a quarter to half of what is recomended for your size system. You will want to slowly increase the amount of bio pellets until you have reached the recommended amount for whatever reactor you are using and for what your systmem requries. It will also depend on what reactor you are using, how much flow is going into the reactor and how much flow is coming out. There are a couple good videos on BRS and Reef Dynamics regarding Bio Pellets.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You can also just adjust the flow of water to your reactor to prevent overdoses. No this does not mean you can add whatever amount you want. Just helps you to fine tune. I started with the reccomended amount of biopellets for my tank. Started on just enough flow to prevent clumping. Waited. My nitrates were still a bit high. Tweeked it up more and more. Now my nitrates stay less than 5. I absolutely love biopellets.
And if you read a good article you can understand how biopellets really make up for the things that our tanks dont have that the ocean does.
On second thought. Dont bother with threads on biopellets. Read actual publications. I have gotten pretty frustrated with.... Skewed, incomplete ? Information, Not quite sure how to state it. But at times i have even been a bit offended when trying to clearify. I guess somw people think brs tv is in depth.lol

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts