Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked tank lvl's and my nitrates are up. Any idea's why?
PH=8.4
amonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=20
calcium=450
Don't have a alk tester or mag tester yet...soon I hope

125g aquarium, 15g refugium, 40g long sump.
Run skimmer, and charcoal bag in sump.
Trying to grow algae in sump using the live sand/ crushed coral metod (forgot the name). I used LR in the sump as well.
Lights= Odyssea 72" with 3 MH at 10k, 4 blue atinics at 65w each, and moonlights.
I am going SPS and added some I got from Saltwater Crazy.
On the fuge I am running regular floresents(sp?) that come with small tanks. It is a nano that I hooked up with the 125g
tankpic1.jpg

My MH where down for about 1 1/2 weeks and now back up after repaired.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
20 isn't a huge deal

You should be able to combat that with bumping up your waterchange schedule

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed between 10-15 gals each week if possible. This past couple of weeks I have done more water changes trying to raise my calcium. I feed at least twice a day if not more. I use frozen mysis and frozen rotifers and in between that I will sometimes dried plankton and pellets.
Lately I have been feeding probably 4-5 times a day at lower dosages. Over the weekend I read an article about massage feeding and did 2 days of overfeeding without runnning the skimmer. After that I did a 15gal water change and started the skimmer back up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have had several nitrate spikes much higher, including one that made my lfs operator chringe when he started adding drops, way over 50ppm, since I added more macro and rock rubble to my fuge and increased the amount of light and light duration that it recieves all has been fine. A little bigger water changes would probably be all you need to get back to zero

1 - 5 of 5 Posts