Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really confused. I measured my nitrates today and they were 10ppm, nitrite and ammonia are 0. I did a water 40 gallon water change and measured the nitrates an hour after the change and still 10ppm, nitrite and ammonia 0?:confused: My source water is at 0ppm nitrate? Is 10ppm high for a reef and fish tank?

Here is my setup.

120gal with 40gal refugium
150lbs LR / sand / mud
queen angel
flame angel
hippo
cardinal
six line
engineer goby
mandrine
(3) perc
cleaner shrimp
zoos / torch / orange cap / leather / some other polyps?

any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
your nitrates aren't bad. if you do a 30% water change it will only reduce your nitrates 30%. in your case 30% of 10ppm is only 3.3
so it would drop them down only a little. most kits don't even test this acurately.
do you have any bio-balls in your sump? if so, you may want to remove them and replace it with rubble rock.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Skully, I agree with Flynnstone, 10 ppm is an acceptable Nitrate reading. I wouldint be alarmed, I would maybe cut back on your feeding for a few days and see if that does anything. I always test 0 ppm but I seem to starve my fish. Iv'e been feeding a little more lately to see what happens.

·
Registered
408 Posts
10 ppm is not that bad. If it went to 30 to 40 ppm you would start having a problem. My tank was 45 ppm quite a while ago, it took me so many water changes to get it down to zero. I would do a 10 gallon water every 4 days. I think I did about 7 water changes to get my nitrates down to 0. You may have to do quite a few water changes to get your nitrites down also.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Are you measuring NO3- or NO3. Look at your test kit directions. If it is NO3- then you have to divide your results by 4.4, If I remember the equation right, to get a a compariable result to what the books speak of. So a 10 with a No3- measurement is really quite good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slapshot said:
Are you measuring NO3- or NO3. Look at your test kit directions. If it is NO3- then you have to divide your results by 4.4, If I remember the equation right, to get a a compariable result to what the books speak of. So a 10 with a No3- measurement is really quite good.
I'm not sure? I look into that. Everybody thanks for the reassurance. I've never had nitrates higher than 0 ever since I started in this hobby 3 years ago. And I do feed 2-3 times a day.

Again...thanks everybody!!:)

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Also an FYI- You'll also need to get rid of one of your percs. As they mature, a pair will develop and they will harass or kill the odd one out. If they are all the same age, keep the largest one and give of one of the smaller ones away. You can do this now and even if they haven't paired the two remaining will pair up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
weimers75 said:
Also an FYI- You'll also need to get rid of one of your percs. As they mature, a pair will develop and they will harass or kill the odd one out. If they are all the same age, keep the largest one and give of one of the smaller ones away. You can do this now and even if they haven't paired the two remaining will pair up.
I've been trying to get one of them out and it has been a nightmare!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I would not be concerned until you at 100. After doing some research and gathering some samples I found many nice tanks with levels higher than 100, but it appears when you get higher than that you can run into other issues. The thing to watch for is rapid increases, which would indicate something is wrong and going to get worse, an increase from 0 to 10 in 3yrs in very small. Do you have a bare bottom tank or dsb or a mix? This may effect what your nitrate level will level out at, each system is different.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
180wall said:
I would not be concerned until you at 100. After doing some research and gathering some samples I found many nice tanks with levels higher than 100, but it appears when you get higher than that you can run into other issues. The thing to watch for is rapid increases, which would indicate something is wrong and going to get worse, an increase from 0 to 10 in 3yrs in very small. Do you have a bare bottom tank or dsb or a mix? This may effect what your nitrate level will level out at, each system is different.
I have a DSB in my display tank and mud in my refugium. How does this effect nitrates?:confused:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Well the DSB if functioning properly is designed to break down nitrates. That along with macro algae are used to break them down. Now if a DSB is not working properly the waste will build up on top and create nitrates. So just watch them and see if they increase, make sure that detris is not laying on your sand bed and its clean and it should funtion properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts