Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i live in grand rapids. I just set up a 55 gallon reef (or working on it) Still need quite a bit of live rock. But anywho, i went out and got a 8 pound chunk of live rock from a local fish store. and i found out that it has aiptasia living all over it. Which for the price of 50 bucks i would have thought id be getting something good. Im thinking im gonna go buy shrimp this weekend, to combat them. thing is they are all over on the inside of the rock. is it pointless to even try? or should i just pull that rock out and take it back to the store and get my money back?

Also what was really cool is i moved the tank and filled it back up with water as the cloudiness went away i noticed something on the glass. I thought it was aiptasia that had moved like one did to the back of my tank. but it was a extremely small starfish. About 3mm across. Think it will make it through the cycling of the tank? its still alive at this point so i would think that it will make it i hope.

~Jeremy

·
Registered
800 Posts
That's not a bad price for store live rock.
Get a bottle of Joes Juice and wipe them out. It is very simple.

- If the rock is that sweet of a piece, I would take care of it myself.
? How rock do you have in the tank so far ?

It is always good practice to scrub the rock real well with a brush before putting into the water system.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i mix up kalk wasser real thick and put it around the base and they usually die...careful tho this method can cause your PH to spike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just the one rock, its about 8 pounds im looking for more. I may have found 40-50 pounds more that i will get tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
rock

i like to use kalk paste myself joe's juice is ok too but i guess in my opinion kalk will kill them immediatly but i agree with the ph too just keep an eye on it, the small starfish won't really harm anything i heard it should make it throgh the cycling process the thing is they eat coraline so that would be your call hope this helped a little

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If your not in love with the shape I would take it back. If they won't take it back (which would surprise me) then just remind them you are just starting and you will soon be making expensive purchases. Why start off with an aggravation. There will be plenty of time for those later.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would take the rock back, @ $7 something a pound that store should know exactly what they were selling you. If it was my tank, I would hate to have problems already.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
because you are starting i would recomend "cooking" the rock do a search on here, not 100% sure aptasia will die off but i believe it does. if they will take it back that would be easyer but dont buy any more rock from them bc if it was on the one rock, its on all the others even if you cant see it. aptasia is one of the hardest things to deal with and you almost always will, starting off with as few as possibe, killing the ones you do find and pepermint shrimp will help git rid of it all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts