Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm trying to add more random flow to my reef (a 156 with a remote 100 sump downstairs) beyond beyond aiming my return and CL streams at each other or the tank glass. My system uses two Sequence hammerhead external pumps, one as the main return and the other to drive a closed loop. Returns from both of these pumps each split into two via a "devil's pitchfork" PVC construction so that there are two return lines from the main return pump and two return lines from the closed loop (so four returns total but from two different external pumps).

I see that Oceanmotions makes a 4-way rotating drum device. The thing seems to serve 4 lines as returns leading from it. Can I insert two plugs into the device and in essence have the drum diverting into two returns rather than four? I would probably need to buy two of the devices because of my two-pump set-up.

Thoughts? Who has one of these that couple offer me some direction?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed that they do indeed make a two-way. I was concerned, though, that my output flow rates would be too high. My GPM rates exceed what they recommend for the two way.

Mike

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
The guys at Oceans Motions are great, email them and they'll tell you what you need, or they'll make it for you (they do custom jobs). These guys are all over RC, and they even have a forum on the Oceans Motions website that people post and ask questions, etc. about Oceans Motions applications. If you think you'd need two, you might consider a wavebox. They'll be a little under the cost of 2 OM units, and IMO they promote more realistic flow/surge.

BTW, I probably wouldn't plug two outlets of the OM, I think it would create issues.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
OM does make a 2 way. I have been using it for almost 3 years with no problems. It has plugs on two outlets and a modified drum so that it occilates. It essentially switches flow direction every 30 seconds.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
One of the best investments made was the Ocean motion 4 way.

The performance and the barrel like water movement in the tank - is one incredible thing to see.

Almost everything stays suspended in the water column - then forced into the overflows for filtration.

My goal is to have a tank to look like the TOTM listed above some years down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts