Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into stingraybay aquarium today and greg has in an awsome octopuss.It is huge.12'' long tentacles and its body is the size of a softball.So if anyone is looking for an awsome octo go to see greg.And only $60.00.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: If only my 210 was cycled.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Greg is a great guy and very helpful. He has the most amazing prices on fish in the area... And can make special orders on request. I just picked up a radiant wrasse for only $65!!!

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
did Greg tell you what kind he was

be prepared to have very tight lid they can fit though very small space also somebody mentioned only feeling the tank 2/3 of the way that seems a good idea. if it's a blue ring be very very careful imo those octopuses should not be offered into the trade. I don't think Greg would sell those with out a very stern warning. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am sure it wasn't a blue ring.. Greg will not even deal with them. I asked him what his thoughts were one day and he told me if they are in his shipments by accident he sends them back... Long story short he will not sell or deal with them.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
And this is why

The Shan Man said:
I am sure it wasn't a blue ring.. Greg will not even deal with them. I asked him what his thoughts were one day and he told me if they are in his shipments by accident he sends them back... Long story short he will not sell or deal with them.
I like Greg I was thinking about running out there today or tomorrow though not looking for a octopus they are cool to see. :D

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
ok here is the scoop!

I called the store to check on a couple other fish I wanted so I asked about the octopus 1st of he's sold but he was a Florida dwarf octopus no other details to share. oh btw I have there more then once when Greg refused to sell his animals to somebody he didn't feel could give proper care to it.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
How sure are you? I'm just curious because NOTHING is certain in this hobby.

This being said, I'm interested in a dwarf octo so, what sort of info do we know about them? I might want one for my tank... after it's had some adjustments.

nanocube24 said:
no florida dwarf gets 12" tentacles with a head the size of a softball.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Johnos said:
How sure are you? I'm just curious because NOTHING is certain in this hobby.

This being said, I'm interested in a dwarf octo so, what sort of info do we know about them? I might want one for my tank... after it's had some adjustments.
Florida dwarf octopus could be a trade name for a few species I would talk to the lfs involved directly in this case Greg at Stingray Bay I have seen all kind of corals inverts and fish mis marked by the wholesaler Greg would be able to tell you the estimated size life span and perhaps the scientific name and of course the availability of getting more oh yeah the temperature they require to be happy.

G

·
i like and trust a lot of people including greg, but not when it comes to octopi.

MOST octos you will find at stores are dwarfs. dwarf octos grow to about 10 inches from tip to tip when stretched out. they die young, USUALLY well under a year lifespan but it can vary a little. if you see common atlantic octo or that's what it's sold as, it's 90 percent a dwarf.

if you want something that doesnt get THAT big and has a longer lifespan find an online retailer or individual breeder of bimacs. not nearly as large as a vulgaris and lives 3 times as long as a dwarf.

if the one stingray bay had in one as large as the original poster said, there is no way on earth it was a dwarf.

visit tonmo.com to get pretty good info.\\

as for your question of how sure... 99 percent sure.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
They also seem to have a healthy appetite, after watching ours eat I definately wouldnt put it in a reef tank or a tank with any other occupants for that matter. If it moves its food.. Really cool little critter to watch though.

G

·
my first octo was a trip. i was even a bigger trip as i had it in with a mandarin, a copperband butterfly, and a coral beauty.

they all became food.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts