Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 35 gallon cube 20x20x20 and i have a okay powerhead in it right now but i think im going to put that one in my qt tank. I plan on making this tank an SPS until I move into my house then im going to make the 35 a frag tank and build a 300 gallon.

Anyway what i want to get an opinion on is im looking at buying a Tunze 6060 powerhead or the Ecotech vortech for this tank. Thing is do you think it would be too powerful for the tank that its in now? I know it will be good in the 300. I would like to get the Tunze because its much cheaper than the ecotech but i like that you can control the ecotech.

But if i did go with the Tunze i dont want it to be too powerful to blow my live sand all over the place. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't know about the tunze, but I do have an ecotech and you can turn the flow down to almost nothing. The wireless driver on it is awesome. It allows you to do a lot without having to buy a seperate controller

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the korilla and i dont like it i have the number 2 and it seems pretty weak to me. I think ill just wait to hear about the Tunze. Or by that time i may just save the extra money and get the ecotech.

So how do you like that ecotech? how do you control the flow on it? do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The Tunze 6060 and the Vortech is like comparing Apple to Orange. The Tunze 6001 and the Vortech is an accurate comparison. Both are good power heads, but I only have experience with the 6001. People here and on RC seem to like the Vortech a lot, so take a look at them and go with what you like. With Tunze you will need the 7095 Multi Controller (for two 6001's), the Vortech you are ready to go. Both are way too much for your tank, but they can be dialed down and they would be fine. If you know for sure, you will get a bigger tank, it would be smart to buy them now, that way you won't have spent money on power heads you won't use. With a 300 gallon you will need four, of either the 6001's or Vortechs.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've been running the Vortechs for about a month now.

You'll be able to dial it down to accomodate your tank and it will work well in the 300 you plan on having.

The vortech would look better in your 30 while you wait because it takes up less space due to the way it mounts..

I couldn't be happier with mine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't mean to butt in but what should I have in my 125? I use 3 pwr heads that are hidden in the LR but I have one area in my tank that the detritus settles and I don't want to disturb the sand and or injure the corals, so what do you think?

·
Registered
477 Posts
redrocket said:
i run 2 korilla pumps in my tank and couldnt be happier...imo i would save the tunze for the 300 gal
I was planning on getting a #2 for my 30 gallon. Should I go bigger, smaller, something else?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a #2 in my 35 gallon and i dont like it. I think its a fairly weak stream IMO go with the #3 if you want to go that way. Do you plan on keeping any SPS?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I run 2 original Korali #2 (600gph/ea) in my 60 and it seems fine, the newer models have a MUCH better attachment at the end to direct flow. I honestly like the wider spread since I am trying to accomplish even flow throughout the majority of the tank and with the dual LocLine returns i have these more as supplementation. Its all in the application. If you need more direct flow then the newer korali's may work but might still be too wide of a spread. If you want a wide even flow with a peak distance at about 20" then they are fine. It's all in application and what you specifically need. Very difficult to say "yes or no" to any one since it is determined by coral needs, aquascaping, etc, etc. Best bet is to list what you want to accomplish (corals wanted to keep, etc) and post a pic of the tank, that was its easier to determine the needed flow or placements depending on a multitude of factors. :)

BTW i run these Korali's in an SPS dominated tank, before this tank they were ran in a soft coral tank and everything is and was doing fantastic. They will work for an SPS or anything depending on placement and Aquascaping.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill post some pictures tomorrow. from the sounds of it i have the same set up as you do except a little smaller. I think the korillia is okay for now but im going to be keeping mostly all SPS and need more flow. I would like to run one powerhead off the side of my tank just about in the middle with enough power to not have any dead spots. And from the sounds of it the vortech is my best bet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts