Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have $400.00 in my budget for a new/used skimmer and have narrowed it down somewhat. I need it to run a 130gal water volume system with a heavy bioload that will give me noticeable improvements over my two HOT Berlins I have running now. It's a mixed reef with a good amount of corals. I need them to be external. Downdraft, recirculating needlewheel or beckett. No venturi.

I'm not concerned about noise or power consumption. I have a capable pump for any beckett or downdraft, so I only need the skimmer in that case. I need it to skim well and be less than $400.00 including shipping. If you can think of one I haven't listed, please let me know.
Any help will be appreciated very much.

MRC 2
Octopus DNW 200
Bullet
Reef Devil
Any ebay diy beckett that somebody's tried and liked.
DOC 300

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Check out the new octo pro on premium aquatics. That's what I would get.
You can pre order one thew will be in stock soon.
I dont know what size tank this is going on, But on your choice of skimmers I guessed.

BTW it looks to be sound in constuction, and a sound pump. Its a new product so you may want to consider that. I still think it will do very well. IMO

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would take a look at the MSX200 at www.marinesolutionsinc.com

It has been getting alot of good reviews at reefcentral. Looks like a similar style to the bubble King.

I have always used ASM skimmers myself. I had a G3 on my 90, and now I have a G4+ on my 220. Very easy to use. Good bang for the buck, and really pulls the gunk out - even without any of the popular mods.

G

·
The ZeroDoc300 is made by a guy in Mishawaka, IN. Ive run his 180 and is a very nice unit and fairly cheap. I picked up a used one from him and he gave me 2 extra injectors. This thing works great, just wish I was using it right now but its sitting in my new tank that im working on setting up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am curious as to why you have not considered the Euro Reef brand of skimmers? I just bought an RS135 from Pruess'. It was recommended to me by Steve at Pruess'. Many people I talk to say they are one of the best skimmers available. One of the tanks at Pruess' is 250 gallons with the Euro Reef RS 135 running on it. I think this shows just how effective and efficient the Euro Reef Skimmers are!

In a comparison chart, Euro Reef gives the realistic rating of a 135 gallon tank, for it's RS135, while other brands of skimmers rate their same size skimmers for 300 gallons. Here is a link to the chart with the "Comparitive Ratings." http://www.euro-reef.com/products.shtml

I hope this helps.

I think I paid $330 or something in that neighborhood.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Personally I think any of the higher end skimmers in this price range are going to perform well for you. A lot of it is going to come down to personal preference, how large of a footprint you can accommodate, etc. I am cramped for sump space at the inlet chamber so I went with the Auqa C Ev series. It has been running for a week and is performing very well, it will take another week or so to really hit its stride. I think if someone just dropped 350+ on an Octo, they are going to tell you THAT is the one to go with, if they got a Euro, no it's THIS one, and on and on it goes. The manufacturer is obviously going to tell you their's is the superior product to the rest. It's called marketing and they want you to buy their product. But when you get up into the premium skimmer price range, I think you are going to find most out there will do the job well for you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here's one more website for you to look at. http://www.superskimmer.com/index.htm

I have an etss 500 from them and it works well, but I agree with Chopstix any of the high end skimmers will work well for you just read everything you've got and go from there.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The skimmer needs to be External

I would like to consider the AquaC and Euroreefs and even the ASMs, but I need the skimmer to be external to the sump. I don't have enough height under the stand to accomodate a skimmer that will be powerful enough to skim my system. The BubbleMaster is short enought and will probably do the job, but it's way over 400.00. My budget has to stay there if I want enough to buy fish.

So if I don't get the efficiency of an external recirculating skimmer, I figure I'd have to go with a downdraft or beckett external.

The link to the HSA was very interesting. Looks like the same skimmer that Deb had for sale awhile back. What a great price on it. Too bad it's in Toledo. Gas from my house could kick the price up another 40 to 50 bucks, which would still be a good deal if it's in good condition. That's one to consider.

I have an ETSS 800 for the other tank and it kicks, but the AETECH I can afford is in sump only (Evolution 500). I don't think the reef devil is enough either.

The msx200 looked awesome because it has the sicce motor, but again only in sump. I thought the new Octo extremes were going to have the sicce pumps, but I see they don't. They do resemble the Bubblemasters, though and I'm not sure if they can be external.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. I'm still confused, but have to make a decision soon and you guys have given me good info.

Thanks again,
Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
TomToro said:
Too bad it's in Toledo.
I live in Monore, did you find a store in Toledo I don't know about? Where are you talking about down there? Always on the lookout for new places to give away my money !!! :D

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up with the dnw 200. It's a heck of a lot bigger in person. I'll let you guys know how it works. Thanks for the help.
Tom

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Onlycrimson said:
It shouldn't let you down.
Thanks, Crimson. It's started to foam up today so I'm getting optomistic.
Take it easy,
Tom

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Onlycrimson said:
Has it been performing any better?
A little bit. I had to put the seltzer about 4" from the top to get it to finally push some dry foam over. It was just sitting 2" from the top getting darker and not traveling up.

I also reduced the flow of the feed pump. I cut it in half from 400 to 200. That seemed to concentrate the foam some. Maybe it gave the bubbles more contact time with the water before it sent it back to the sump? Just a guess.

So far, not overly impressed. I'll give it another week and decide.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Tom just give it some time. Some of them take a month I was told. Mine was just like yours. It took 2 or three weeks of slowly backing it down and now I love the thing!! I think you have to run the water a little higher than other skimmers but it porduces black thick stuff to tea now, depending on where I set it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts